Michelle Yeoh Web Theatre
Older News (July 2014 - )
- In Strike Back: updates with set photos. The production team used locations in Hungary to stand in for North Korea.
Oh yeah, have you ever wondered where the name of Michelle's character is from?
Michelle has left Hungary and returned to Paris.
Photo at left: Michelle with US based South Korea-born actor Na Kwang-Hoon (who will play a North Korean general in SB5) in Hungary.   (photo courtesy: Na Kwang-Hoon)
- New page opened: Strike Back. Visit the page and see some unpublished photos of Michelle during Thailand filming in the spring.
Main part of the Budapest filming has wrapped. A part of the team is heading to Thailand for a few more weeks to finish the final season of the series. Some filming is still continuing in Hungary.
Photo at left: Michelle and cast/crew members at wrap up dinner, Nobu Restaurant, Budapest, Nov 28
- [Strike Back] The production company arranged for some journalists to visit the set in Budapest. Thom Will, an UK television publicist, said after meeting with our lady: "Michelle Yeoh - what a charming, funny and all together fabulous woman!"
The release date for the final season of the series has not been fixed but it is expected in early 2015.
- Final Recipe
: screening at the 2014 Douro Film Harvest in Portugal.
- [Strike Back] Michelle has been busy on the Strike Back
Here are some off-set photos from Budapest, Hungary, Saturday November 22nd.
(1) Michelle and Will Yun Lee, American actor (ethnic Korean) who will play a villainous role as a member of the North Korean State Security Department in Strike Back
(2) Michelle walking on a street in Budapest
- Please watch and share:
Documentary: Davids and Goliath
(66 min. in English. some interviews are in Chinese with English subtitles)
Nobel Peace Prize nominees David Matas and David Kilgour use their wisdom and courage to fight against one of the world's worst crimes against humanity.
- Final Recipe
will screen at the 14th JiFFest (Jakarta International Film Festival) on November 21st and 22nd, as a part of World Cinema.   (details)
- Michelle left Paris and arrived in Budapest on Monday, resuming the Strike Back filming.
- It's a nice papercut of Michelle (image at left), isn't it? (credit: Olastofos)
- FIA: World Day of Remembrance for Traffic Victims
"Today is an opportunity to remember the thousands who lose their lives on the world's roads daily, and the heartbreaking loss which mothers, fathers, sons and daughters are left with as a result. Most people don't realise the scale of this catastrophe we face - every single day 500 children lose their lives on dangerous roads. We know that speeding is a leading key factor in accidents, so governments have a moral responsibility to ensure effective laws which restrict speeding are in place to protect all road users."
- Michelle Yeoh, Global Road Safety Ambassador, on the World Day of Remembrance for Traffic Victims, Novemebr 16th, 2014
- Michelle has returned to Europe.
Strike Back has been filming in Budapest, Hungary and will continue there for a few more weeks. Meanwhile, director Michael J. Bassett has been in Thailand, scouting locations for another part of filming. The ten episodes of the final season will be directed by Michael J. Bassett, Julian Holmes, and Brendan Maher. Andy Harries and his Left Bank Pictures (which produced The Lady) produces the series.
Mechanic: Resurrection began production in Bangkok, Thailand early this month. They were filming the part involving a child actor who plays younger Arthur Bishop (Jason Statham).
It seems Michelle will be busy with filming in the coming months. It appears she has yet another film in preparation...
- After a three day funeral ceremony, the burial for Michelle's father, Datuk Yeoh Kian Tek, took place on Sunday afternoon (November 9th) in Ipoh. Several hundred people, including 128 members from the Malaysia Businessman Sports and Recreation Club who carried the cortege, walked 4.4 kilometers from the Yeoh residence to the Sri Maju Ipoh main station where a memorial service was held.
Local media reported that thousands of people came to say farewell. A second generation of Chinese immigrant in Malaysia, Datuk Yeoh Kian Tek was a lawyer, business man and politician. He was the president of the Malaysia Businessman Sports and Recreation Club, owner of the Sri Maju bus company, and former chairman of the Perak Malaysian Chinese Association. Datuk Yeoh was buried at the Paradise Memorial Park in Tanjung Rambutan, Perak, Malaysia.
- Summit Entertainment and Millennium Films announced that Michelle will join Jason Statham, Tommy Lee Jones, and Jessica Alba in the sequel to 2011's The Mechanic
. Principal photography of Mechanic: Resurrection
(working title) began this week in Bangkok, Thailand. Directed by Dennis Gansel, the film is set for a wide release by Lionsgate on January 22, 2016.
Synopsis: "Arthur Bishop (Jason Statham) returns as the Mechanic in the sequel to the 2011 global hit. When someone from his past forces him back into the business, Bishop has to complete an impossible list of assassinations of the most dangerous men in the world."
- The Star: Michelle Yeoh: Jean Todt is my significant other, but we have yet to marry
(1-2) Nov 7: Michelle at the family home in Lebuh Lasam, Ipoh   (3-4) Nov 6
(1) (L to R) Michelle, Perak exco and MCA (Malaysian Chinese Association) chairman Mah Hang Soon, Transport Minister Malaysia
and MCA president Liow Tiong Lai, MCA Deputy president Wee Ka Siong, and MCA Vice-Presidents Lee Chee Leong, Nov 6
(2) Michelle and her mother talking with some MCA members
Nov 6: (1-2) greeting Perak chief minister Zambry Abdul Kadir
(photos from "Sinchew", "Guangming", "Star", "MCA", "NST")
- The Star: A wonderful man, my hero, says Michelle Yeoh of late father
(1-2) Michelle, her mother and her oldest sister greeting visitors who come to pay their
last respects to her father   (3) Michelle and her oldest (half) sister Yeoh Choo Hoon
(L to R) Perak chief minister Zambry Abdul Kadir, Perak Malaysian Chinese Association
chairman Mah Hang Soon, Michelle's mother, Michelle's sister, and Michelle
(photos from "The Star", "Sinchew", "Kwongwah", "Guangming", "ChinaPress", and "Nanyang")
- It is with the greatest regret and sorrow to report that Michelle's father, Datuk Yeoh Kian Tek, passed away of old age on November 5th at home in Ipoh, Perek, Malaysia. Michelle returned to Ipoh from Europe three days ago. Late last month she had taken a short break from filming and returned to Malaysia to celebrate her father's 89th birthday with family and she flew back to Hungary the next day. Our deepest condolences go to Michelle and her family. Stay strong and stay well, Michelle.
Michelle and her father, from year 2007, 2010, 2013
New Straits Times
Photos: 90th birthday (in traditional Chinese age counting) celebration for Michelle's father, Ipoh, Perek, Malaysia, October 25th, 2014.
("Yin Yong Lok Lok" photos)
- [Strike Back] photos from Budapest, Hungary.
(1) (L to R) American actor Will Yun Lee, Michelle, Australian actor Sullivan Stapleton, and English screenwriter, director, and co-executive producer Michael J. Bassett - a "crazy" dinner
(2) Michelle with Tereza Srbova, Czech born actress who plays double agent Major Nina Pirogova in Strike Back
- In Final Recipe
: an interview video with actor Henry Lau on the making of the film. With video scans.
- Event: Making Art in Auckland
- panel discussion with several CTHD2 crew members, Auckland, October 28.
- [Strike Back] Michelle has returned to work on Strike Back
, now filming in Hungary.
- Principal photography of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II
has been completed in New Zealand. (Michelle wrapped her part two weeks earlier and Donnie Yen wrapped his last week.)
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II
updates with set photos and a small video. Also added cast photos.
- [Note] There will be no update for the rest of the week as I will be traveling. See you later!
- More photos from Oct. 3 - a wrap for Michelle in New Zealand:   ("QQ" photos)
- Congratulations to Michelle for wrapping up Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II filming in Auckland! She left New Zealand on Saturday and returned to Malaysia. Glad to see her still in one piece after more than two and half months of physical fighting with the "bad guys" on set! :-)
Photo at left: Michelle at the NZ airport, Oct 4
- Photos from New Zealand:
(1) It's a wrap for Michelle - (L to R) director Yuen Woo-ping, Michelle, cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel,
and Donnie Yen
(2) Michelle with former New Zealand Maori parliamentarian Tau Henare
(1) fun moments on set - with co-stars Harry Shum Jr. (L), Natasha Liu Bordizzo, Donnie Yen, and
2nd unit director Charlie Nguyen (center)
(2) Michelle doing voice recording for CTHD2
(photos from "Tau Henare" and "Eastern Heroes")
- Theaters battle Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon 2's Netflix deal
(check out the title pic...)
- First stills from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II
CTHD2: (1-2) Michelle Yeoh as Yu Shu Lien   (3) Donnie Yen as Silent Wolf
"The Green Legend echoes the themes of the original movie, but tells its own story - one of lost love, young love, a legendary sword and one last opportunity at redemption, set against breathtaking action in an epic martial arts battle between good and evil that will decide the fate of the Martial World."
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II
will premiere simultaneously in selected IMAX theaters and on Netflix on August 28, 2015. The film has been retitled to "The Green Legend".
Principal photography in New Zealand is expected to wrap up in about two weeks. The film design is led by the Academy Award-winning Lord of the Rings
team of costume designer Ngila Dickson, production designer Grant Major and visual effects supervisor Mark Stetson.
Hollywood Reporter: Crouching Tiger Sequel to Hit Netflix and Imax Simultaneously in Groundbreaking Deal
New York Times: With 'Crouching Tiger' Sequel, Netflix Takes Aim at Hollywood
Press release: Netflix Announces First Original Movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend
- It has been officially announced that Michelle is one of the new cast members in the final season of CINEMAX's hit action drama series Strike Back
, which recently resumed production in Europe. Yes this was the "new project" Michelle was filming in Bangkok in the spring. The fourth and final season of ten episodes will air on CINEMAX and UK partner Sky 1 (as season 5) in 2015.
Michelle is currently in New Zealand filming CTHD2.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II
- Michelle is featured in Harper's BAZAAR Indonesia, September 2014 edition. Interview was taken in June during a Guerlain product launch in Seoul, South Korea.
10 MENIT BERSAMA MICHELLE YEOH
(10 Minutes with Michelle Yeoh)
- Final Recipe
updates: screening at the 2014 Filmkunstmesse Leipzig in Germany, September 15-19th.
- Final Recipe
updates: screening at the Korean Film Festival in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Title: "La Receta Final".
- Video: FIA and MY World
- Maybe some of you still remember the first teaser trailer
of the original "Crouching Tiger", released in 2000? If not, you may review it now ;-). ... What about this game trailer
: An extra described his job at the shooting - all he did was lay on the ground and watch Michelle and Donnie Yen fly above him. Another extra described that food on the set was great and Michelle was extremely nice.   ;-)
- New Zealand media reported that Jean Todt was visiting Michelle on the Auckland set.
- Some photos from New Zealand, July 26 - August 25:
(1-2) Michelle at the CTHD2 kick off party, July 26
Michelle with some CTHD2 team members at dinner in Auckland, Aug 25
- Michelle has been challenged by her CTHD2 co-star Donnie Yen to participate in the charity ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. The global fundraising phenomenon has raised
$15 million to the ALS Association, a non-profit health organization that is dedicated to fight against Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, a neurodegenerative disorder also known as Lou Gehrigs Disease.
Here is Donnie Yen's video: Donnie Yen ice bucket challenge Michelle Yeoh, Chow Yun Fat, Wang Bao Qiang
- For anyone who signed on to the Birthday Special
and left your email address, if you haven't received Michelle's message and photo, please check in your spam folder. Also there are three people who wrote invalid email addresses - two from China and one from the Philippines. If you are one of these people you may contact me
so we can correct it. Thank you all again!
- Some set photos from Final Recipe
filming in 2012.
- In Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II: The Green Destiny
: more crew member information and some set photos - Michelle's horse says HI!
- Wait... our birthday celebration
is not over yet! Michelle sent in this birthday photo along with a(nother) message to all --
Thank q for all your love and support!!
(August 11 2014, New Zealand)
All friends who left email addresses on the 2014 Birthday Special should have received the message with photo. Michelle was too busy so I sent for her this time. Enjoy ;-)
Thank you for sharing the birthday cupcakes (virtually), Michelle! :-)
- Have you been waiting for this? After reading our birthday messages
, Michelle posted this on the Guestbook (Thursday 3:36PM Pacific Time = Friday 10:36AM Auckland)
Thank you Michelle!
Message from Michelle Yeoh
Thank you all for your love and support...
Your thoughtful messages means the world to me, especially when I am so far away from home and family.
I send all of you love and warm wishes from Auckland, know that I am very touched by all of you...and 'see' you all very soon. Stay well and happy always, love,
(Friday, August 8 2014, 10:36AM, posted on Guestbook from Auckland, New Zealand)
You are always amazing... Enjoy your filming. Stay safe and stay warm (it's winter there isn't it)! ;-)
- Photos from Auckland, New Zealand: Happy Birthday Michelle!
(1) (L to R) CTHD2 co-producer Bey Logan, Michelle, American actor and martial artist Jason Scott Lee
(2) Michelle and Hong Kong action actress and Taekwondo athlete JuJu Chan
- Dear all, here it comes --
The 13th Annual Birthday Special: Our Birthday Greetings to Michelle Yeoh, August 6, 2014
(birthday image by Bin of Sichuan, China)
Messages sent by fans from over 35 countries/regions: Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Madagascar, Malaysia, Nigeria, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, UK, USA, and Vietnam.
All birthday messages have been forwarded to the birthday girl ;-)
And here is our birthday poll result: (question: Michelle will reprise her warrior Yu Shu Lien role in the upcoming Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II: The Green Destiny. In what language would you prefer the film to be made?)
133 (62%) - don't mind which language as long as it is Michelle's real voice
59 (28%) - English
22 (10%) - Mandarin Chinese
On the 16th anniversary of this website, the Michelle Yeoh Web Theatre, as the webmaster I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to all of you, old or new friends, for years and years of supports. Your visits and kind messages have always been a big encouragement for maintaining this website.
Of course, we shall all thank Michelle, our special lady and birthday girl, for another year of entertainment and inspiration! ;-)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHELLE!!
- Hi all, I just came back from my trip and let's catch up some Michelle news ;-)
Principal photography of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II: The Green Destiny
started today in Auckland, New Zealand. See CTHD2 page
for more casting updates.
Photo: Michelle, Donnie Yen and producer Bey Logan (center) at the CTHD2 kick off party, July 26.
- Michelle has been in Auckland, New Zealand. I think you all know why she's there ;-). Michelle, enjoy your filming and keep away from injury!
- Photo at left: Michelle with Jason Bae, South Korean-born New Zealand concert pianist who performed at the New Zealand Wallace Piano Festival in Auckland on July 13th.
- Michelle, as the global ambassador of UN Decade of Action for Road Safety, is scheduled to attend the FIA American Congress 2014, held in Santo Domingo, the Dominican Republic, August 6-8.
So, it seems that Michelle will spend her birthday in Latin America. :-)
- Talking about birthday... ok, are you ready? Here comes our ... first, second, third, ...., nope, our THIRTEENTH annual birthday special. It is a perfect time to say something to our beautiful lady on her special day (even if you have already done so maybe 12 times already!). As "usual", all messages will be forwarded to Michelle by her birthday.
The 2014 Michelle Yeoh Birthday Special
And you are welcome to participate in our birthday poll. This year it is about Michelle's Crouching Tiger 2
which is starting filming this month.