Michelle Yeoh Web Theatre
Older News (January 2014 - )
- Michelle and Jean Todt received the Bahrain First Class Order on April 5th in Bahrain. Bahrain News Agency reported that "HM the King bestowed the Bahrain First Class Order on FIA President Jean Todt in recognition of his pivotal role in the Formula One races. He also bestowed the Bahrain First Class Order on prominent actress Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh in acknowledgement of her contribution in advocating humanitarian causes and community service."
The 2014 Bahrain Formula One Grand Prix takes place on Sunday April 6.
(1-2) Bahrain's King Hamad presents the medals to Michelle and Jean Todt
(3) Michelle and Jean Todt at the practice/qualifying day fof the Bahrain F1 Grand Prix at the Bahrain International Circuit, April 5
( photos from "Gulf Daily" and "DT")
- Final Recipe
will be the closing film at the 2014 Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival, May 1-11.
- Michelle has returned to Paris after a short stay in her home country Malaysia.
- [Crouching Tiger 2] Hong Kong director/action choreographer Yuen Woo-Ping said in a recent interview with Chinese media that he has been preparing Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II: The Green Destiny
. No other actors have been fixed besides Michelle and Donnie Yen. Production is scheduled to start around June. Part of filming will take place in New Zealand, according to Chinese media.
- More photos from Michelle's Burma visit last month: Michelle with the sales and marketing team of Chatrium Hotel Royal Lake Yangon.
("Chatrium Hotel Royal Lake Yangon" photos)
- Final Recipe
: 15th Hawaii International Film Festival Spring Showcase screenings.
- In Photos
: new event pages added, including some new photos.
- Michelle left Thailand today after several weeks of intensive filming. She was seen at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport. ("Weibo" photos)
- More videos from December 15, 2011, when Michelle met with John Bercow, the Speaker of the House of Commons (U.K.) in London:
- Video: French version of Michelle's Malaysian orangutan documentry
Sauvez les Grands Singes de Malaisie
- Michelle returned to Thailand on Monday. Here are more photos during her visit to Yangon/Rangoon.
Michelle visiting the Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon. As we know, the speech scene of Aung San Suu Kyi
at the Shwedagon Pagoda in "The Lady" was filmed in Thailand and then CGIed with the shots of
the real location, taken by director Luc Besson who entered Burma earlier pretending to be a tourist
(1) enjoying Zi Cappucino at IKON Mart Zicaffe
(2) Michelle visting IKON Mart Showroom, March 8
Michelle at a dinner gathering, March 8
Michelle and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, March 9
(photos from "Irrawaddy", "Suu Foundation", "Kyaw Kyaw Hlaing", "Aung Than Htay", "Theint Theint Naing", "Kerstin Jung" and "Zicaffe")
- [Note] Sorry the Guestbook
wasn't working. My web hosting service discontinued the Guestbook feature and I had to re-build one. It should be working now. If you experience any problem please let me know.
- More from Myanmar/Burma:
DVB TV: Suu Kyi and Yeoh launch health and eduction foundation
Reuters: Suu Kyi and Yeoh launch health and eduction foundation
Channel News Asia: Media in Myanmar should exercise greater responsibility in reporting: Suu Kyi
(click on "Videos" tab, 02:16)
DVB: Suu Kyi and Yeoh launch health and education foundation
Myanmar Freedom Daily: Suu Foundation launched to advance education and healthcare
More photos from March 9th:
Michelle and Daw Suu at the launch of Suu Foundation
(1-2) Foundation board meeting, (L to R) in (1): Michelle, Aung San Suu Kyi, and Karen Knudsen,
Director of External Affairs at the East-West Center (EWC)
Michelle, who serves on the foundation's board of directors, speaking at the launch event
(1) (L to R) Professor Miemie Byrd of Asia Pacific Center for Security Studies, AirAsia Bhd CEO Aireen Omar, Nobel
Peace Prize laureate and foundation founder Aung San Suu Kyi, and foundation board director Michelle Yeoh
(1) Michelle, Daw Suu and others watching former U.S. first lady Laura Bush's video message.
Laura Bush and former U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will serve as honorary co-chairs of Suu Foundation
(photos from "EWC", "Suu Foundation", "DVB", "Greg Knudsen", "Khin Mg Win", and "RFA Burmese")
- In Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar (Burma), March 9th: Michelle attended the launch of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's Suu Foundation
an U.S. based humanitarian organization dedicated to advancing the health and education of the people of Myanmar (Burma). Michelle is one of the board of directors of the foundation.
"Just as Daw Suu has made a difference, you and I can bring hope to help and bring dignity to the people of Myanmar," said Michelle. In her speech at the event, Michelle
offered her thoughts and prayers to the passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight and their families before introducing Daw Suu to the stage.
The special luncheon with Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was in connection with the upcoming East-West Center International Media Conference in Yangon which will focus on the theme 'Challenges of a Free Press' in Asia.
(1) Michelle (R1) and Aung San Suu Kyi (R2) with officials from Air Asia during the opening of Suu Foundation in Yangon
(2-3) Michelle, Board of Director of Suu Foundation, giving a speech
(4) Daw Suu giving a speech on the importance of press freedom
(1-2) Michelle with Daw Suu at the pre-conference luncheon
(photos from "AP", "Epa", "Twitter" and "Weibo")
- Cover story of Malaysia's Women's Weekly, March 2014 issue. The interview with Michelle was done last November in Kuala Lumpur. Thanks Jo (again) for the images!
- Michelle is back in Thailand for the next block of filming. Filming locations in Thailand for this new project include Bangkok and Krabi, a coastal resort at the mouth of the Krabi River in southern part of the country.
- Cover story of the first issue of ELLE Malaysia (March, 2014): Prime Time. Many thanks to Jo for the images! Click on any image below to read the article.
- Also new in Magazines
: Michelle in L'uomo Vogue, November 2103.
- UNAIDS video: Actress and activist Michelle Yeoh supports the zero discrimination campaign
"I believe we are all born equal. You know, we are, whether you're a boy or a girl, you should have the same equal rights." - Michelle Yeoh
To be marked on March 1st, UN's Zero Discrimination Day
calls for tolerance, unity and compassion. The symbol for Zero Discrimination is the butterfly,
widely recognized as a sign of transformation, said in a UNAIDS note.
- MSN: Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh is Elle Malaysia's first cover girl!
- No, Michelle is not in Captain America: The Winter Soldier
. It was a mistake on IMDb listing.
- The first block of filming for Michelle's new project has wrapped in Bangkok and Michelle is now taking a break in Malaysia. It is a U.K./U.S.A. production.
- Michelle is featured on the cover of the first issue of ELLE Malaysia (March issue, 2014), out on newsstands beginning Friday February 21.
"ELLE Malaysia" Video: Reveal of the first issue ELLE Malaysia
Michelle is currently in Bangkok filming her new project.
left image: cover of ELLE Malaysia March 2014
right: celebration of the launch of ELLE Malaysia
- After spending a few days in Paris, Michelle flew back to Asia and returned to the Bangkok filming set. The production of this new project will continue in Thailand until the end of March and then move to Budapest, Hungary.
- Final Recipe
: film reviews from TIFF NextWave.
- More photos from Berlinale:
(1) Michelle and Thomas Struck, director of Berlinale Culinary Cinema
(2) Michelle and director of the Berlin International Film Festival Dieter Kosslick
(3) Michelle and Gina Kim, director of Final Recipe
(1) Jean Todt, Michelle, Gina Kim and Thomas Struck looking around the kitchen for the Final Recipe dinner party
(photos from "Berlinale" and "Gina Kim")
- Podcast FRED: Interview with Michelle Yeoh on Final Recipe, Berlinale2014
* Michelle also talked a bit about her current project and the upcoming Crouching Tiger sequel - starting in June or July, said Michelle.
- More photos from Berlinale, February 9-10. Michelle left Berlin yesterday (10th).
(1) Michelle and director Gina Kim, Feb 9   (2) Michelle at an interview session, Feb 10
(photos from "Getty", "Indieboy", "CDN" and "Tesiro")
- Michelle has started filming a new production in Bangkok, Thailand. If you are wondering, no, it is not "Crouching Tiger sequel" (which is scheduled for later of the year). It is something new and it is expected to be action-packed. Well let's wait for the official announcement. ;-)
- The Year of Horse
will begin Friday. Happy Chinese New Year Michelle and everyone!
(1) Michelle holding a koala bear. photo taken in Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary, the world's oldest and largest Koala sanctuary,
during her visit to Brisbane, Australia last November
(2) an undated portrait of Michelle by photographer Patrick Downs
(3-4) On the occasion of the upcoming Chinese New Year, Madame Tussauds Bangkok (Thailand) has "Michelle" and "Jackie Chan" to greet everyone
- Video: RM 51-01 Tiger and Dragon - Michelle Yeoh watch
- Lifestyle Asia: Louis Vuitton: Malaysia's League of Extraordinary Women
Michelle Yeoh, The Silver Screen Goddess
(2-3) Michelle's pictures at the exhibition
launch of the photography exhibition, "Malaysia's League of Extraordinary Women", Jan 27
(1) Michelle and Hong Kong-based photographer Wing Shya in front of Michelle's portrait at the exhibition
(2) Michelle with Lim Meng Hong (L), Malaysia Representative at Christie's, and Su Lee (R)
(3) Michelle with Mrs Universe 2013 Carol Lee
(2) Michelle with Pandelela Rinong, Malaysian Olympic diving medalist
(photos from "Lifestyle Asia", "The Star", "NST", "Malaysia Tatler", "Starhill Gallery",
"Prestige Malaysia", "Pandelela Rinong" and "Wing Shya")
- On January 27, Michelle attended the launch of the photography exhibition, "Malaysia's League of Extraordinary Women", in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. She is among the eight iconic women being honored.
Presented by Louis Vuitton Malaysia and YTL Corporation Berhad, the exhibition, located on the Indulge Floor of the Starhill Gallery in Kuala Lumpur, will run through February 28th.
"The Star" report: Yeoh among woman icons
"Yeoh is currently busy with a new film.
She revealed that she is spending a good part of her visit to Malaysia with her family in Ipoh for the Chinese New Year, before flying off to Bangkok for filming."
Photos from the event coming up.
Richard MilleTourbillon RM 51-01 Tiger and Dragon - Michelle Yeoh
- RM 51-01 Tiger and Dragon - Michelle Yeoh
Continuing the celebration of novel ladies' timepieces for this "Year of the Woman", Richard Mille's ongoing and fruitful association with the famous Malaysian actress Michelle Yeoh encompasses a new jewelry creation with the tourbillon RM 51-01 Tiger and Dragon-Michelle Yeoh.
This novel artistic creation celebrates her new film 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II', due to be released in 2014, in which Michelle returns to the role of her well known character, Yu Shu Lien.
Richard Mille and Michelle's collaboration began in 2011 with the creation of the RM 051 Phoenix Tourbillon, a symbolic timepiece in which she was intimately active.
Michelle desired to reiterate the concept of forms and shapes integrated within the watch's movement, this time with a visual scene centered on the symbolic themes of the Tiger and the Dragon, with a tiger and a dragon clutching the tourbillon movement.
Created from 3N red gold, the figures are carved and incised entirely by hand. Special miniature tools were specifically made for the specific artistry required in the physical realization of these two creatures.
To increase the realism of these special animals, a long and painstaking process of hand finished micro painting was executed, also including the unseen parts of these two marvelous entities.
The tiger and dragon have deeply influenced Asian culture. The Tiger, considered as 'Yang' supremacy, therefore male, was viewed as a demon hunter. For the military, the tiger, symbol of courage, was represented on shields and weapons.
The dragon, meanwhile, is a very common symbol in China, taking on many complex traits, as an emblem that can unify a group, or a larger nation. Today we closely associate it with prosperity and happiness.
With a power reserve of 48 hours, indicated by a red line between 10 and 11 o'clock, the grade 5 titanium movement includes a torque limiting crown to protect the watch from possible overwinding.
The RM 51-01 Tiger and Dragon-Michelle Yeoh will be available in a limited edition of 20 pieces in 18K white or red gold.
- Final Recipe
will be the opening film of the Culinary Cinema programme of the 64th Berlin International Film Festival (Berlinale, Feb 6-16), The programme of special presentations on food and/or the environment runs from February 9 to 14.
Berlinale press release: Culinary Cinema 2014
"... Opening the programme is the Korean feature Final Recipe by Gina Kim. Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) plays the producer of an extremely glamourous cooking contest who becomes entangled in a family drama. On this first evening, Daniel Achilles from Berlin's reinstoff restaurant will man the Culinary Cinema's stove."
- Michelle, as the global ambassador for the Make Roads Safe campaign, attended the 11th annual Transforming Transportation conference at the World Bank in Washington, D.C., January 17th.
In her closing remarks, Michelle made a strong case that transport has the potential to make our world a healthier, safer, and more sustainable place to live. But she also acknowledged the challenges we face moving forward:
"Those of us who champion for global road safety face challenges worthy of a Hollywood blockbuster."
Since the transport sector was not included in the UN's Millenium Development Goals (MDGs), Michelle stressed the critical importance of making sure its included this time around in the SDGs, thus ensuring that the coming decade truly is a decade of action. "Unlike in the movies," Michelle said, "remember that we don't get a second take. We only have one chance. Let's get this right. We need a strong coalition, dedication, passion, and a clear purpose so that we are confident in our mission."
(1) closing session (L to R) Holger Dalkmann, director of EMBARQ, Michelle, and Jose Luis Irigoyen, director for the Transport, Water, Information
and Communications Technologies, and Infrastructure Finance Department in the Sustainable Development Network (SDN) of the World Bank.
(2-3) Michelle at the Road Safety plenary, Transforming Transportation 2014
Michelle delivers closing remarks at the Transforming Transportation 2014 in D.C.
(photos from "EMBARQ", "Felipe Sandoval", "twitter" and "Weibo")
- [Update: Crouching Tiger 2] Apparently the previous report from Hong Kong media about actor switching was false.
Los Angeles, CA (January 16, 2014) - David Thwaites, producer of the CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON sequel and Harvey Weinstein, Co-Chairman of The Weinstein Company issued the following statement:
"The article that appeared in Apple Daily regarding our Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel is unequivocally false. From the moment Crouching Tiger became a reality at The Weinstein Company we designed the project around Donnie Yen and Michelle Yeoh. No other offers were ever made to anyone else and we're thrilled to have such icons in our film. We look forward to the start of production in 2014."
- [Crouching Tiger 2] According to Hong Kong media, the male lead of the film may switch from Donnie Yen to Hong Kong actor Andy Lau. It is said that Weinstein and Yen failed to make a deal and the China Film Co, the Chinese side partner for the production, suggested Andy Lau. It is not clear how much this change would affect the script. Michelle's assistant told reporters that Michelle has been set to return to her Yu Shu Lien role but they have not received a fixed starting date. Director Yuen Woo-Ping said the filming should start sometime this year.
- Photos: Michelle and Jean Todt attending the ADAC automobile club awards ceremony in Munich, Germany, January 16th.
(photos from "AP" and "Bimmer Today")
- Some old interview segments during Michelle's visit with representatives of the Burma Campaign UK to the Speaker's Chambers at the Palace of Westminster, London, England, December 15, 2011.
Part 1 (02:07)
Part 2 (01:46)
Part 3 (00:58)
- January 8th: Michelle was in Grenoble, France, supporting Schumacher's family. Photo at left: Michelle, Jean Todt and Surgeon professor Gerard Saillant visiting the CHU where Michael Schumacher has been hospitalized. ("Newscom" photo)
- Final Recipe will be screened on February 15 at the TIFF Next Wave Film Festival in Toronto, Canada.
- Reign of Assassins will be on Australia's SBS One, Saturday January 11 at 9:30pm.
SBS: Michelle Yeoh, woman of action
Jan. 1st, 2014
- Now we have entered 2014
. My very best wishes to everyone for a blessed New Year!
- On New Year's Day, Michelle and Jean Todt visited the Grenoble University Hospital in Grenoble, France, supporting Micheal Schumacher and his family. Still in a medically-induced coma, Schumacher's condition has slightly improved and remains "stable".
Michelle and Jean Todt leaving the Grenoble University Hospital where former German Formula One driver Michael Schumacher
is being treated for a severe head injury following a skiing accident. January 1st, 2014.
Michelle and Jean Todt arriving at the Grenoble hospital, Jan 1
(photos from "AP", "AFP", "Newscom" and "Bild")
- Photos in news of December 31st, 2013:
Michelle and Jean Todt arriving at the Grenoble University Hospital, Grenoble, France, Dec 31
arriving at the Grenoble University Hospital
Michelle and Jean Todt leaving the hospital with Surgeon professor Gerard Saillant who is also a friend of Micheal Schumacher
leaving the Grenoble hospital
(photos from "AP", "CFP", "Getty", "Face to Face", "Newscom" and "Lequipe")