Michelle Yeoh Web Theatre
News January - December, 2022
Dec. 23rd, 2022
- More from the annual Governors Awards last night -
Indiewire Report (read the end)
Michelle with Stephanie Hsu, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ke Huy Quan, and her Mummy co-star Brendan Fraser
(2) with Tom Hanks   (3) with Angela Bassett, co-star of Gunpowder Milkshake
- Video clip: Minions: The Rise Of Gru | Kung Fu Master
- News photos: Michelle attending the Academy's 13th Annual Governors Awards ceremony, Fairmont Century Plaza, Los Angeles, November 19th.
Variety video: Michelle Yeoh poses at the Governors Awards
- Michelle has dropped out of Russo Brothers' The Electric State
for Netflix due to scheduling conflicts. Her role, a doctor that Millie Bobby Brown's character needs to find, will be replaced by Ke Huy Quan, Michelle's co-star in Everything Everywhere All at Once
- Two videos on Star Trek Fleet Command game -
Video 1   (00:40)
Video 2   (00:40)
- Two more short videos from Michelle's photo shooting for Vogue.
Video 1   (00:14)
Video 2   (00:45)
- Congratulations, Michelle and Everything Everywhere All At Once
! The 2022 50th Anniversary Saturn Awards
winners were announced:
Best Actress in a Film: Michelle Yeoh (Everything Everywhere All at Once)
Best Supporting Actor in a Film: Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere All at Once)
Best Fantasy Film: Everything Everywhere All at Once
Collider: Saturn Award Winners Headlined By 'Everything Everywhere All At Once,' 'Top Gun Maverick,' and 'Better Call Saul'
The film had 7 Saturn Awards nominations. Michelle's co-star Awkwafina won Best Supporting Actress in a Film for Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings
This was the first time Michelle won a Saturn Award. She was previously nominated for Best Actress for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
in 2001, and Best Guest Performance in a Television Series for Star Trek: Discovery
- /Film: Kenneth Branagh's Next Poirot Film A Haunting In Venice To Star Michelle Yeoh, Jamie Dornan, Tina Fey, And More
Variety: Kenneth Branagh's Third Hercule Poirot Film 'A Haunting in Venice' Casts Tina Fey, Jamie Dornan, Michelle Yeoh and More
Hollywood Reporter: Jamie Dornan, Tina Fey, Michelle Yeoh, Jude Hill Join Kenneth Branagh in Agatha Christie Mystery 'A Haunting in Venice'
Based on Agatha Christie's book "Halloween Party," production of the supernatural thriller film A Haunting in Venice
will begin in November, with filming locations including Pinewood Studios in London and location work in Venice. British actor and filmmaker Kenneth Branagh, who directed and starred as Hercule Poirot in the mystery drama adaptations of Christie's Murder on the Orient Express
(2017) and Death on the Nile
(2022), will be directing and returning in the lead role as detective Poirot. The film is set to release in 2023.
- The Wrap: Innovators List 2022: Michelle Yeoh
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
will premiere in South Korea on October 6th at the 27th Busan International Film Festival (BIFF). The film will be released in the country on October 12th.
Ad on the street of Seoul
- Disney Plus video: In Production Featurette | American Born Chinese
Collider: Gods and High School Collide In First Look at 'American Born Chinese'
TVline: American Born Chinese: Michelle Yeoh Reigns in Action-Packed First Footage
American Born Chinese poster at D23 Expo, Anaheim Convention Center
(2) )Destin Daniel Cretton, Gene Luen Yang, Ke Huy Quan, Kelvin Yu, Michelle, Ben Wang, Melvin Mar, Daniel Wu
(3) Kelvin Yu, Destin Daniel Cretton, Ke Huy Quan, Ben Wang, Daniel Wu, and Michelle on stage at D23 Expo
("Getty" and "Twitter" photos)
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
was screened during the 49th Telluride Film Festival, September 3, Telluride, Colorado, as a part of the 30th-anniversary celebration for Sony Classics. Michelle attended the featured Q&A. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
, distributed by Sony Pictures Classics in the U.S. in 2000, remains the highest-grossing foreign-language film today.
- So how did you do on the EEAAO pop quiz posted on August 5th? ;-) Let's look at the answers.
(1) In EEAAO, the movie star Evelyn was attending a movie premiere of hers. What was the English title of that movie?
(2) What was Alpha Waymond holding in the Alpha-verse during his last moment?
(3) Both directors had cameos in EEAAO. Did you catch director Daniel Kwan's cameo appearance?
(4) In the movie star universe, the film featured a sequence of real event videos of Michelle Yeoh's. Can you name some of the events?
upper L to R: Crazy Rich Asians LA premiere (2018), Oscars ceremony (2019), Cannes film festival (2010),
Singapore film festival (2016),
lower L to R: Hollywood Film Awards (2018), Venice film festival (2010)
(5) The film used a mix of screen aspect ratios. It started with the ratio of 1.85:1 (normal widescreen format) for the "normal world." At which scene was the aspect ratio changed for the first time?
In this zooming-out sequence, the screen aspect ratio was changed from 1.85:1 (normal widescreen format)
to 2.39:1 (anamorphic widescreen format, the widest aspect ratio in modern cinema)
(6) What other universes used the same aspect ratio as the "normal world"?
Some universes used the same screen aspect ratio as the "normal world," 1.85:1, including the worlds of movie star, opera singer, pizza sign spinner, rock, pinata, prison... The epic battle world (movie within movie and its extension) used the widest aspect ratio 2.39:1, as well as the "Raccacoonie" world, Jobu's all-white "bagel universe," and the ancient martial arts world. The hot-dog universe used a ratio between the two, about 2.00:1. Also, some scenes, such as flashbacks, used the old 1.33:1 (4:3) format.
Hope you enjoyed the quiz! ;-D
- Michelle was a surprise guest at the 2022 HITC music festival, a K-pop event, in Los Angeles over the weekend.
Some fan videos:
See? I said she's turning 20!
(photos from "Twitter" and "Sohu")
- New film page opened: The Brothers Sun. Netflix's dark comedy series has been filming in Los Angeles since mid-July, 2022. Extras for portraying LAPD cops were called earlier this week.
The majority of the series will be filmed in Los Angeles and Taipei, Taiwan.
August 6th, 2022   ♬ ♪ ♬ ♪
HAPPY   BIRTHDAY   TO   YOU
HAPPY   BIRTHDAY   TO   YOU
HAPPY   BIRTHDAY   DEAR
MICHELLE   🌷🎂 🍾 🎉
HAPPY   BIRTHDAY   TO   YOU   ♬ ♪
- Here is a Birthday quiz :-)
• Name three or more films that Michelle had the top billing during her Hong Kong film era (before 1997).
• Name three or more films that Michelle had the top billing after 2005 and before Everything Everywhere All At Once.
- Hollywood Reporter: Michelle Yeoh to Receive AFI Honorary Degree
AFI: Michelle Yeoh and Lawrence Herbert to Receive Honorary Degrees at AFI Commencement
Michelle will be conferred with a Doctorate of Fine Arts
by the American Film Institute "for contributions of distinction to the art of the moving image." AFI Conservatory's 2022 commencement ceremony will take place on Saturday, August 13, at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.
- Hi friends, let's celebrate the 24th anniversary of this website, Michelle Yeoh Web Theatre, with an Everything Everywhere All At Once
You have watched the film more than once, haven't you? ;-)
Okay, ready? Go!
In EEAAO, the movie star Evelyn was attending a movie premiere of hers. What was the English title of that movie?
What was Alpha Waymond holding in the Alpha-verse during his last moment?
Both directors had cameos in EEAAO. Did you catch director Daniel Kwan's cameo appearance?
In the movie star universe, the film featured a sequence of real event videos of Michelle Yeoh's. Can you name some of the events?
The film used a mix of screen aspect ratios. It started with the ratio of 1.85:1 (normal widescreen format) for the "normal world." At which scene was the aspect ratio changed for the first time?
What other universes used the same aspect ratio as the "normal world"?
If you answered all the above quiz questions with ease - Congratulations!! If you want to hear the answers - "Come back next week!"   :-D
- Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank
- News photos: Michelle on the yellow carpet of Minions: The Rise of Gru
premiere at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood, June 25.
- Everything Everywhere All At Once Has A Unique IMDB Rating Record
am730 (Hong Kong) interview video
(02:52 in English and Cantonese)
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
Cast & Crew:
• Director Daniel Kwan's father's family is from Hong Kong and his mother's family is from Taiwan. His grandfather once owned a laundromat in New York City.
• Michelle Yeoh was born in Malaysia to ethnic Chinese parents. She had her secondary and high education in England, and she became an action movie star in Hong Kong in the 80~90s.
• Ke Huy Quan was born in Vietnam to ethnic Chinese parents. His family fled Vietnam when he was 7 and emigrated to the US the next year. He went to school in California and graduated from USC.
• Stephanie Hsu was born in California and graduated from NYU. Her mother was from Taiwan.
• Languages: the film was shot in a mixture of English, Mandarin, and Cantonese. Evelyn Wang speaks Cantonese with her father, and Mandarin with her husband, Waymond. This may indicate that Evelyn and her father are from Hong Kong, while Waymond is from Taiwan or Mainland China (the way he talks sounds more from Taiwan).
• Evelyn‘s Chinese given name is "Shu Lien", which is the same as Michelle's character in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
• In the universe where Evelyn is a blind opera singer, the song she sings on stage (voice by Hong Kong born American singer-songwriter Jane Lui) is Son Lux's remix of a folk song from Sichuan of southwest China, entitled "好久沒到這方來" (translation: "I haven't been this place for so long").
• The song Waymond sings (while sweeping broken glass after the Chinese New Year party) is "恭喜恭喜" (translation: "Congratulations! Congratulations!"). It was written by Chen Gexin in Shanghai in late 1945 to celebrate the defeat of Japanese and the end of the World World II. The first 4 sentences (sang in the film) are: "每條大街小巷 / 每個人的嘴裏 / 見面第一句話 / 就是恭喜恭喜" (translation: "On every street and in every lane / on everybody's lips / whenever people meet / the first thing they say is 'Congratulations! Congratulations!' "). It quickly became the New Year song for 1946 - and every new year after. After the communist party seized power in Mainland China in 1949, the song disappeared in Mainland. The song writer Chen Gexin, along with millions of innocent Chinese people, were labeled by the communist party as "counter-revolutionary." He was sent to a forced labor camp. He died at the age of 47. Meanwhile, the song became associated almost exclusively with Chinese New Year celebrations everywhere except in Mainland China.
- Poscast: "At the Movies with lra and Louis" with Michelle Yeoh
(Michelle appears 00:51:30-01:24:19)
"Jimmy Kimmel Live": Michelle Yeoh on Fighting, Having Hot Dog Fingers & Being Proud to Play a Superhero in New Movie
- In theatre July 15: Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank
(originally titled "Blazing Samurai").
Official Trailer   (02:37)
Starring Michael Cera, Ricky Gervais, Mel Brooks, George Takei, Aasif Mandvi, Gabriel Iglesias, Djimon Hounsou, Michelle Yeoh, Kylie Kuioka, Cathy Shim, and Samuel L. Jackson.
- Everything Everywhere All At Once
will be released in theatres in Malaysia on March 24.
- More photos from the lens opening ceremony of American Born Chinese
- Photos: Michelle enjoying her time as "grandma" in Malaysia, mid-December - January.
Jan. 10th, 2022
<< News 2021 December
News 2023 January>>