Michelle Yeoh Web Theatre
News July - December, 2013
Dec. 31st, 2013
- News brief:
Dec 30: It was 10 years ago Michelle's good friend, Canto-pop diva Anita Mui, passed away. A special Anita Mui 10th Anniversary concert was held in Hong Kong today.
"Oriental Daily" reporters asked Michelle (who was in another country) to say something. Michelle sent a message: "I miss her!"
Dec 31: Michelle rushed from Indonesia to France. She and Jean Todt visited Grenoble University Hospital Centre to see their friend, seven-time Formula One World Champion, Micheal Schumacher who was critically injured in a skiing accident on Sunday in Meribel, France.
- The winners of the 2013 Asian Short Film Script Competition
have been announced
. The competition was organized by Jelly Bean Films and Michelle was one of the judges.
Michelle and everyone!
Hello my friends! Have you seen Shen Yun performance? Watch the new Shen Yun 2014 Trailer
- Embark on an extraordinary journey across 5,000 years of civilization. From ancient dynasties to the modern day, witness inspiring stories and legends come alive on stage.
Experience a performance that can truly touch your soul!
Check out Shen Yun 2014 World Tour
and don't miss it when the breathtaking performance comes near you! :-)
- Macau.com: The Cinema Lady
- The 50th Anniversary of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Hong Kong:
(click to see full size image)
- The 2013 FIA Annual General Assembly took place on December 2-6 in Paris. Jean Todt has been unanimously re-elected as FIA president for a second term.
FIA: Making mobility fair, safe, clean, green
Michelle and Jean Todt attending the FIA Annual General Assembly, Dec 6
(3) Michelle, Jean Todt and Ari Vatanen, former Finnish World Rally Champion and former member of the European Parliament
(1) Michelle with Jean Todt and Nicola Todt, Dec 6
Dec 5: calling for safe roads for all the during FIA General Assembly (L to R) FIA Foundation Chairman
Tim Keown, Zoleka Mandela, Nelson Mandela's granddaughter, Michelle, and Jean Todt
(photos from "FIA", "EPA", "fia foundation", "Motor Sport" and "Mobility For All")
- On November 30, Michelle attended the closing ceremony of the 44th International Film Festival of India in Panaji, Goa.
Earlier in the same day, she and The Gyalwang Drukpa appeared in a press conference on Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
Michelle Yeoh at the closing ceremony of IFFI 2013, Goa
(03:04, in English)
His Holiness Gyalwang Drukpa and Hollywood Actress, Michelle Yeoh addressing the Press at IFFI 2013
(07:13, in English)
Glittering ceremony concludes 44th IFFI in Goa
Reports from India:
Manorama Online: India International Film Festival of India
Borneo Post: Glad to have changed image of Asian women, says actress Michelle Yeoh
The Hindu: I am batting for the environment - are you? Michelle Yeoh
Times of India: Let's empower man: Michelle Yeoh
Business Standard: Michelle Yeoh wants to work with Aamir Khan
Hindustan Times: Michelle Yeoh plans Bollywood entry
APN: Pad Yatra will inspire youth: Michelle Yeoh
Speaking about her connection with India, Michelle Yeoh said that she plans to shoot two films in India, but also added that it was "too early to talk" about the project.
"We are still ideating the script," she said.
"We are thinking of a movie that is based in Ladakh, Nepal and India. We're in the process of writing the script. It will be a mainstream commercial film," says Yeoh. So will we see her shake a leg, Bollywood-style, in the movie? "I think I have to brush up my singing and dancing and hopefully you will see me in Bollywood soon," she says.
Michelle and The Gyalwang Drukpa talking about Pad Yatra film at the press conference
Michelle addressing the audience at 44th IFFI 2013 closing ceremony
Michelle and India's Minister for Information & Broadcasting Shri Manish Tewari presenting
the Centenary Silver Peacock Award to Kamaleshwar Mukherjee, director of "Meghe Dhaka Tara"
(1) Michelle with Bollywood actress Asha Parekh
(3) Michelle, Shri Manish Tewari and other dignitaries at the 44th IFFI closing ceremony
(photos from "IFFI", "Nic", "JoeGoaUK", "MIB India", "Manorama" and "Unish Kuri")
- On November 29th, Michelle attended the Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
screening and Q & A during the 44th India International Film Festival of India (IFFI).
Video: FFI 2013: Actress Michelle Yeoh on the Red Carpet
(3) (L to R) Michelle, The Gyalwang Drukpa, and director of IFFI Shri Shankar Mohan
on the Red Carpet of IFFI
Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey screening and Q & A
(photos from "IFFI", "Nic", "Cri", and "Harry Om")
- More from Australia:
"Practical Motoring": Michelle Yeoh on Road Safety
This video doesn't play for me, maybe someone else has a better luck... "Wake up" video: Michelle Yeoh Interview
(1) Michelle and Peter Frazer, manager at NSW Government and road safety campaigner
(2) with Mark Beretta, Australian journalist and sports presenter, Nov 27
(1-2) Michelle with Sarah Group representatives from Victoria & Queensland
(3)Michelle was caught by fans in a 7-Eleven store in Brisbane, Nov 28
(photos from "Sarah Group", "Mark Beretta", "Richard Walker" and "Weibo")
- Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
will be screened at the 44th International Film Festival of India in Goa, India on November 29th. Michelle, as the film's executive producer and global ambassador of Live to Love, and The Gyalwang Drukpa, founder of Live to Love, will be attending the Q&A session with the press and delegates.
Michelle will be the chief guest at the closing ceremony of the festival on the 30th.
- "The Hollywood Reporter" Film Review: Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
- [Crouching Tiger 2] Hong Kong director/action choreographer Yuen Woo-Ping said in recent interviews that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II: The Green Destiny
is current under its 3rd script revision. They have a Chinese script writer on board now. Since the script is not ready, the shooting of the film has been postponed from spring to June of next year. According to Yuen, there are two main story lines: one is between Michelle and Donnie Yen. Another is about a younger couple. Although it was originally written with Jen (Yu Jiao Long)'s son and adopted daughter, they may be changed to different identities in the new version.
- Michelle on Australian radio (audios):
ABC 612 Brisbane:
Bond Girl Michelle Yeoh on Road Safety
(09:20, click on the "play" symbol at the upper left corner to listen to the interview)
4BC 1116: Michelle Yeoh on Afternoons
- Photos: Michelle attending the 2013 Australian Road Safety Awards Luncheon, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, November 27th.
(1) Michelle giving speech at the Australian Road Safety Awards
(3-4) Michelle with director of Panache Driver Training Derek Brewer
(1) with Russell White (middle), CEO and Founder of Australian Road Safety Foundation, and Derek Brewer
(2-3) Michelle with Russell White and Wayne Horkings (middle), a traffic accident survivor and safe driving advocate
(photos from "Steve Minnikin", "Wayne Horkings" and "Panache Driver Training")
- Michelle is now in Australia. She will be the keynote speaker and award presenter at the annual Australian Road Safety Awards, held by the Australian Road Safety Foundation (ARSF). "Michelle has made a significant impact building road safety awareness around the practical strategies to help the incidence of road trauma," said ARSF CEO and Founder Russell White. Michelle is a devoted advocate for road safety world wide and she traveled to various destinations between movies to promote the cause. The awards presentation will take place tomorrow at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- "NTDTV" video: Produced By Michelle Yeoh, 'Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey' Comes to Los Angeles on Nov 15th
(02:32, in Mandarin and some English)
- Michelle has been back in her home country Malaysia.
- More from "Be An Angel With Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh" Empowered Charity Dinner and Auction on October 18th in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh Joins Forces with Empowered To Save More Lives
(1) a successful bidder (left) for a priceless timepiece, with Michelle and her mother
(2) a sweet bonding moment   (3) Angel of the Night
(1) (L to R) Tracy Ong, founder and managing director of Elegance Club, Michelle, and
Christina Ng, president and founder of Empowered-the Cancer Advocacy
Society of Malaysia
(2) signing of the official event backdrop   (3) Arrival of Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh at Elegance Club,
welcomed by Tracy Ong and Phan Siew Yin, Chief Operating Officer of Elegance Club
(1) members from the VVIP table   (2-3) a star-struck evening with Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh
(1) Dr. Christina Ng (R) expressing her heartfelt gratitude to Michelle through a token of
appreciation from Empowered
(2) Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh and her fellow angels of the evening
(photos from "Empowered - The Cancer Advocacy Society of Malaysia")
- FIA: World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims
"Every road accident is a terrible tragedy for the families and persons involved. We think of those people today. Everyone should have the right to a safe journey whether it is to school, to work, or anywhere else. The international community needs to take action and devote the resources necessary to tackle road safety effectively." -- Michelle Yeoh, Global Road Safety Ambassador
- Michelle is featured in L'uomo Vogue, November issue.
- New images of Michelle and Mandarin Oriental:
- Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
: opens at the Laemmle Music Hall in Los Angeles on November 15 (one week run) and the Quad Cinema in New York City on November 29.
- New film stills in Final Recipe
- Watched Final Recipe
at AFM today! ;-) Heart-warming and enjoyable. A very well made film - well written and well acted, with some touching scenes. Thank you so much Nicole and Andrew of Fortissimo for the ticket!
(scans of Final Recipe AD at AFM)
- India's media reported that Michelle will be the chief guest for the closing ceremony of the 44th International Film Festival of India (IFFI), to be held in Goa, November 20 to 30.
- According to the Automobile Association Philippines, FIA president Jean Todt and Michelle, FIA Ambassador for Road Safety, will be the guests of honor during the opening ceremony of the Asia Pacific Drive Tourism Conference and Exhibition, January 30 - February 2, 2014, Philippines.
- The Lady
: a special benefit screening, organized by the Amnesty International Czech Republic, will be held
in Prague on November 6.
- Final Recipe
- Michelle has been in the U.S..
- In Photos -> Photoshoots
: a set of 16 photos from September.
- Photo at left: Michelle attending The Friends of the Museum of Modern Art Dinner, Paris, France, October 22nd.
With Jean Todt who is a member of the Board of Directors of the Society of Friends of the City of Paris Museum of Modern Art (Musee d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris). ("Getty Images")
- Michelle will be the keynote speaker at the 2013 Australian Road Safety Awards Luncheon, to be held on November 27th in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
Bond Girl Michelle Yeoh to Host Gala Lunch and to Drive Road Safety Awareness (doc)
- CJ Entertainment International officially released Final Recipe International Trailer.
- News photos: Michelle during the "Be An Angel With Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh" Empowered Charity Dinner and Auction
at the Elegance Club, Kuala Lumpur, October 18th. The event was organized by the Cancer Advocacy Society of Malaysia and supported/sponsored by
The Elegance Club and A Next Star Production Sdn. Bhd..
Michelle with Christina Ng (R), president and founder of Empowered-the Cancer Advocacy
Society of Malaysia and Tracy Ong (L), founder and managing director of Elegance Club
(photos from "Bernama", "Eunited" and "Guangming")
- PAD YATRA: A Green Odyssey won multiple awards last week at the Silent River Film Festival held in Irvine, California, U.S.A.:
Best Documentary, Best Director, and Special Awards for Pad Yatra founder Gyalwang Drukpa, and Executive Producer Michelle Yeoh.
- On Friday the 18th, Michelle attended the luncheon celebrating the opening of the new head office boutique of the Elegance Club in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Michelle told local media that she came back to Malaysia for visiting her parents and attending the Cancer Advocacy Society of Malaysia fundraising charity event in the evening.
She said she will be going to the U.S.A. to discuss a movie project. She hopes she can make more movies in Asia and would like to work with Malaysian talents in the industry. Asked when shooting of Crouching Tiger II will start in Malaysia, Michelle said she hasn't received notice yet.
Michelle was invited to Malaysia's 1st Golden Wau Awards held earlier last week. She was unable to attend because her father did not feel well.
Michelle at the opening of the new Elegance Club head office boutique in Jalan Maarof, Bangsar
Michelle with 10 year old Malaysian singer Crystal Lee who won the Best Actress Award at the Shanghai International Film Festival in June
(1) Michelle meeting with Malaysian veteran actress Lai Meng   (2-3) with Lai Meng and Crystal Lee
(1) Michelle, Crystal Lee and Tracy Ong (L), jewelry designer and managing director of Elegance Club   (2-4) Michelle with Tracy Ong
(1) Michelle, Crystal Lee, and Steinway Lyngdorf founder Peter Lyngdorf
(4) Michelle, Crystal Lee, and Malaysian fashion journalist Kee Hua Chee (L)
touring the Elegance Club's jewellery showroom
(3) Michelle and Tracy Ong's son, Derrick Ong
(5) Michelle and The Paranormal Zone host Li Kim
(photos from "Nanyang", "SinChew", "Paranormal Zone", and "Kee Hua Chee")
- Final Recipe
updates: director Gina Kim talking about 'Final Recipe'; new images; another synopsis; screenings schedule
at the Sao Paulo International Film Festival, and more.
- Photos: Michelle and Jean Todt at Rallye de France, 2013 FIA World Rally Championship (WRC), Strasbourg, France, October 5th.
(1) Jean Todt, Michelle, and Ari Vatanen, Finnish rally driver turned politician
(2-3) Volkswagen Motorsport director Jost Capito, Jean Todt, and Michelle
(photos from "AFP" and "Twitter")
- Front page
update: Final Recipe
has been added to the slide show.
- More videos from the Malaysia Short Film Script Competition 2013
Launching of Malaysia Short Film Script Competition 2013
Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh's Speech at the launch
- Watch video:
Michelle Yeoh Congratulates the 50th Anniversary of the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Hong Kong
(00:19, in Cantonese)
- Final Recipe
updates: screenings at the Sao Paulo International Film Festival and the American Film Market; cast/crew information updates, review column, and new title picture.
- Michelle was spotted at the annual Paris Nuit Blanche (White Night) celebration last Saturday night (Oct. 5th).
(fans photos from "Weibo")
Conductivamente TV report & interview
(25:13, Michelle interview at 06:44-08:52, in English)
filmed during the American Congress XI, Buenos Aires, Argentina, in August.
Michelle on the redcarpet at the San Sebastian Film Festival
- More photos from the San Sebastian Film Festival:
Michelle with fans, the opening ceremony of the 61st San Sebastian Film Festival
(photos from "CFP", "Hola", "Future", "Telecinco", "Newscom", "Fotossecchi", "Glamour")
- Hollywood Reporter: Final Recipe review
- News: Michelle attending the 1st Asia Haute Horlogerie Exhibition (Watches & Wonders 2013) in Hong Kong, September 26th.
Video: Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh at Watches & Wonders
(00:42, in Mandarin)
Michelle and Hong Kong actor Jackie Chan attending a cocktail party by Swiss watch brand Richard Mille during Watches & Wonders
(4) (L to R) Richard Mille, Jackie Chan, Michelle, and Dave Tan, CEO of Richard Mille Asia
(photos from "Tung Star", "CFP", "IC", "Sina", "Oriental Daily", "Apple Daily", "AP", and "Richard Mille")
- Interview with Michelle at the San Sebastian Film Festival
(in Spanish. Google translation)
When reporter asked what she is working on now, Michelle said she's preparing Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2
. "Do not ask me anymore because I can not say anything yet," laughed Michelle.
- Redcarpet video: Festival de Cine de San Sebastian 2013
(01:06, Michelle appears 00:57-01:03)
- More photos from the San Sebastian Film Festival, September 21st:
(1) Michelle, Chin Han and director Gina Kim at the premeire of Final Recipe
(2-3) Final Recipe premiere & dinner: with chefs Dani Lopez and Roberto Ruiz, Basque Culinary Center
Gina Kim, Michelle, Chin Han
Michelle during a media interview seesion, San Sebastian Film Festival
last photo: Michelle with Gina Kim and Chin Han)
(photos from "Mundo Ourense", "ICpress", "Newscom", "Epa", "WuniTV",
"Faro de Vigo", "Facebook", "Twitter", "Versace" and "San Sebastian Festival")
- Photos: Michelle attending the world premiere of Final Recipe
with director Gina Kim and actor Chin Han at the 61st San Sebastian Film Festival in Spain, September 21st.
Michelle at the redcarpet of Final Recipe premiere
Gina Kim, Michelle, and Chin Han
What were they showing to Michelle? ;-)
Gina Kim, Michelle, and Chin Han
(photos from "Contact Music", "IC Press", "Getty", "Corbis", "Photoshelter", and "San Sebastian Festival")
- Photos: Michelle at the opening ceremony of the 61st San Sebastian Film Festival, San Sebastian, Spain, September 20th.
- Photos: Michelle waving to the media after she arrives at a hotel for the San Sebastian Film Festival.
(photos from "AP", "Getty", "Future", "San Sebastian Festival", "Corbis", "Universal Spain", "Cuatro", "Newscom", "Antena" and "Mujerhoy")
- San Sebastian Festival News: Annette Bening, Michelle Yeoh, Oliver Stone, Terry Gilliam, Hirokazu Kore-eda and Masaharu Fukuyama, among the guests present on the opening day at the San Sebastian Festival
- News photos: Michelle and Jean Todt at the 59th Coppa Nissena, one of Europe's oldest motorsport events. Caltanissetta, Italy, September 15th.
(photos from "Radio CL 1", "La Repubblica", "Il Fatto Nisseno", "Sicilia", "TCSnews", and "FB")
- Reports from Malaysia:
The New Straits Times: Contest for short film scripts
The Malaysian Insider: When Michelle Yeoh nearly missed the cut for Hari Malaysia
- Michelle will be attending the San Sebastian International Film Festival this weekend. See screenings and tickets information and another synopsis at Final Recipe
- Video: Hari Malaysia
Produced by Malaysian filmmaker-songwriter Pete Teo for the Malaysia Day. Some modern Malaysian personalities, including Michelle, were inserted into old footage from 1957 and 1963 through visual effects technology. Michelle appears around 01:14 - 01:17 in the video.
- Michelle attended the 2013 Mobility Conference Week, held in The Hague, Netherlands, September 10-13.
(1) Michelle and Jean Todt during the 2013 Mobility Conference Week
(2-3) two fans bumped into Michelle on the street in The Hague
(photos from "FIA" and "Weibo")
- Here is another video (01:32)
in which you can see Michelle at the new Formula E car launch during the 65th International Frankfurt Motor Show on Tuesday.
- Photos from Malaysia, September 7th. Michelle helping to raise safety awareness among Malaysians, especially women, when taking public transport.
(1) Michelle on a LRT train, on the way to KL Sentral   (2) Michelle trying a panic button
(3) Michelle with a passenger on the train
(4) Michelle with COO KJ Line, En Nizam and Infrastructure Services Division Group Director Masnizam Hisham
Michelle distributes safety kits to female passengers
(3-4) Michelle with her niece and her 10-year-old nephew walk for the Street Watch Campaign at the Gombak LRT station in Kuala Lumpur
Michelle promotes Crime Watch at LRT station in Gombak
(1) Michelle and her niece whistles
(photos from "1M4U", "Rapid KL", "Bernama", "Berita Harian", "Star", "Mstar", "Nan Yang", and "ERA")
- On Saturday September 7, Michelle was at Gombak LRT station, Kuala Lumpur, launching iM4U (1Malaysia For Youth) Street Watch Campaign to fight crimes against women.
The Star: Michelle Yeoh lends credence to campaign at LRT stations
The Malay Mail: Michelle Yeoh launches iM4u street watch campaign to fight crimes against women
The Star: Michelle Yeoh helping to ensure women's ride home is smooth and safe
iM4U: Michelle during a Q & A on safety awareness
KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 7 -- 1Malaysia For Youth (iM4U) mentor Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh today launched the iM4U Street Watch Campaign to fight crime and raise awareness on women's safety especially in the areas where women are particularly vulnerable.
Yeoh said this was her first initiative after being appointed as iM4U mentor.
She said it was aimed at raising awareness among all Malaysians to pledge their support for the "Women's Safety and Respect for Women" campaign.
"I believes it is important to educate the public and instill a sense of pro-activeness among Malaysians to make our country a safer place for all.
"iM4U also developed a series of five pledges and five tips to be shared via special media platforms and promotion with the support of RapidKL on it's various transportation and networks,"
she told reporters here, today.
At the launch, Yeoh joined some 20 volunteers on the Light Rail Transit (LRT) to distribute safety packs containing a whistle and safety tips card to women passengers.
- On Friday September 6, Michelle attended the launch of the Malaysia Short Film Script Competition
and the FINAS Open House at FINAS (National Film Development Corporation Malaysia), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
The Malaysia Short Film Script Competition is organized by A NEXT Star Productions in collaboration with FINAS and Jelly Bean Production. Michelle is one of the judges.
The Star report:
Original Malay version
English translation by Google
(1) Michelle at the competition launch   (2-3) Michelle speaking at the event
(1) (L to R) FINAS chairman Datuk Md Afendi Hamdan, Communications and Multimedia Minister
Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek, Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh, Secretary General of
the Communications and Multimedia Minister Datuk Seri Kamaruddin Siaraf
(2-3) Michelle and Ahmad Shabery Cheek, Communications and Multimedia Minister
Michelle at FINAS Open House
(photos from "Bernama", "Star", "Malaysian Digest", "network", "Twitter", "Facebook", "Bharian" and "FZ")
- Final Recipe
will be the opening night film at the 33rd Annual Hawaii International Film Festival (HIFF, October 10-20).
Shanghai, China. One of the most prestigious culinary competitions is under way. Julia (Michelle Yeoh) hopes that her husband David (a former chef) enters the contest and rediscovers his love for cooking. But, he'll have to compete against a young prodigy named Mark who wins round after round against some of the toughest competitors in Asia. Julia notices something particular about Mark, slowly realizing that the young prodigy and her husband resemble each other.
FINAL RECIPE, from acclaimed director Gina Kim (NEVER FOREVER), lushly photographs the brilliantly, mouth-watering culinary concoctions. The performances, especially the luminous Michelle Yeoh and K-pop star Henry Lau (Mark), truly shine in this delectable Pan-Asian melodrama. (HIFF)
- In Final Recipe
: tickets for the premiere; running time; KCon panel "Making of Final Recipe" - you can watch the panel videos including the film trailer. Michelle will attend the San Sebastian film festival.
- More photos and videos from the Lot 10 Hutong launch in Guangzhou.
YTL report: Michelle Yeoh launches Lot 10 Hutong Guangzhou
Lot 10 Hutong Videos:
Michelle's speech at the opening ceremony of Lot 10 Hutong Guangzhou
[02:02, in Cantonese]
Guangzhou Lot10 Hutong Media Launch
[03:57, in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin]
(1) Michelle with Martin Yan, a Chinese-born American chef and host of an award-winning Chinese cuisine cooking show
(2) Michelle cooking... inspired by "Final Recipe"? ;-)
(1-2) Michelle giving her speech at the launch of Lot 10 Hutong Guangzhou
(3) Asian food writer and critic Chua Lam, Tan Sri Francis Yeoh, Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh, Martin Yan,
and Dato Seri Dr Ng Yen Yentalking to reporters at the launch of Lot 10 Hutong Guangzhou
(photos from "The Star", "Macao Daily", "BICG", "CNtour", "Weibo" and "YTL")
- Michelle is scheduled to attend the opening ceremony of Lot 10 Hutong Heritage Food Village on August 29 in Guangzhou, China. Lot 10 Hutong is Malaysia's first gourmet heritage village. Other guests to the event include former Malaysia Tourism Minister Ng Yen Yen and Malaysian-Chinese fashion designer Jimmy Choo.
- The world premiere of Final Recipe
will take place at the San Sebastian International Film Festival.
Once a famous chef, Hao's Chinese restaurant is now an unpopular destination. He despises the fact that people nowadays do not respect traditional dishes and he has become a bitter old man. Hao's only hope is that his grandson Mark enters a prestigious university, but Mark's dream is to follow his grandfather's footsteps and become a chef.
Hao's restaurant is on the verge of bankruptcy and he finally collapses. In order to save the restaurant, Mark enters a TV cooking contest in Shanghai, called Final Recipe. He competes against talented young chefs from around the region and freely shows off ravishing cooking skills that he has accumulated from his grandfather over the years. Meanwhile, contest producer Julia (Michelle Yeoh) hopes that her husband and world-renowned chef David (Chin Han) enters the contest and rediscovers his love for cooking. As Mark wins round after round and gains attention, Julia slowly realizes that Mark and her husband David shares a secret that they don't yet know.   (Fortissimo Films)
- Final Recipe
: director Gina Kim, actors Henry Lau and Bobby Lee will be talking about the film on a panel
, a Korean pop convention in Los Angeles next Sunday.
- More photos from Ecuador, August 4th. Local media reported that Jean Todt and Michelle discussed with Ivonne Baki, Ecuadorian Secretary of State, about Yasuni ITT environmental protection project. In this
Yasuni ITT video
you can see Michelle at the beginning part.
- Hope everyone has been having a great summer!
Michelle spent her birthday with Jean Todt and their friend Michael Schumacher and his family at the Galapagos Islands, Ecuador.
Since there are no new photos of Michelle, I will share a few older photos of hers. And I do mean some of them can be quite old... ;-)
(1) Michelle and Jean Todt, taken in August 2012
(2) Michelle during Chinese New Year celebration in Ipoh, Feb 10, 2013
(3) Michelle presents Grand Prix certificate to AIP Foundation CEO Mirjam Sidik, Decade of Action Policy Forum, St Petersburg, May 7, 2013
(1) Michelle at age of fourteen   (2-4) undated photos, published on Malaysia's "Sinchew" in May
(photos from "Sinchew", "PerakCybertroopers", "Road Safety Fund" and "Everton Rosa")
- Photo at left: Michelle and Jean Todt meeting with Ivonne Baki (right), Ecuadorian Secretary of State on August 4th, Ecuador.
(Yasuni ITT" photo)
- It is another year! Michelle, here we wanted to add these messages from your admirers to all the blessings and laughs and love you are receiving on your special day (tomorrow)!
THANK YOU for being such an inspiration for so many of us. Stay happy. Stay healthy. Stay beautiful.
Happy Birthday our special lady!
The 12th Annual Birthday Special: Our Birthday Greetings to Michelle Yeoh, August 6, 2013
Messages sent by fans from over 38 countries/regions: Afghanistan, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, Cote d'Ivoire, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Madagascar, Malaysia, Mexico, Myanmar, Nicaragua, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, UK, USA, Venezuela, and Vietnam.   (all messages have been forwarded to the birthday girl)
The "Michelle Yeoh Web Theatre" first opened online on August 5, 1998. So, today is the 15th anniversary of this website. ;-)
I have kept the statistics on the site visits every month. Well, it's too hard to add all the numbers so I will just pick two of them: last month, 95,515 pages were visited. The highest monthly record was 234,935 pages (the site gets more visits when Michelle has a new movie in release). As the webmaster, I sincerely thank everyone, for your visits, encouragement and support, year after year!
Talking about years... let's have a look at this year's birthday poll, shall we? ;-) There were 249 people who participated in the poll. The question was: How long have you been a fan of Michelle's? Here are the answers:
0 to 5 years: 74 (30%)
less than 6 months: 0 (0%)
6 months to 1 year: 4 (2%)
1 to 2 years: 17 (7%)
2 to 3 years: 16 (6%)
3 to 4 years: 17 (7%)
4 to 5 years: 20 (8%)
5 to 10 years: 43 (18%)
10 to 15 years: 55 (22%)
15 to 20 years: 36 (14%)
20 to 25 years: 19 (8%)
more than 25 years: 20 (8%)
Wow! (I can't even count myself a senior......)
Once again, Michelle --
birthday animation by Bin of China
birthday animation by Jo of Malaysia
(click to see larger version)
(click here to see a few more birthday images made by fans from Baidu Club)
- Michelle will be attending the road safety forum at the American Congress XI in Buenos Aires, Argentina, August 2nd.
- Michelle will be one of the judges on the Asian Short Film Script Competition
(ASFSC, July 1 - September 15) panel, announced the official Jelly Bean Films & Distribution Facebook
. You don't have to be an Asian to participate, as long as your script contains elements and/or aspects about Asia, and/or support Asian industry talent. Script can be written in English or Chinese, or both.
- Michelle has been in Europe lately.
- In the preview video of "Culinary Zinema" from Festival de San Sebastian, you can have a glance of some shots in Final Recipe
. 00:00-00:16 and 01:54-02:05. No Michelle yet.
Video: Culinary Zinema 2013 Preview
Synopsis: Hao was once a famous chef, but his restaurant is now on the verge of bankruptcy due to his stubbornness and changing tastes of modern people who do not respect traditional dishes any more. To save his legacy, his grandson Mark decides to enter a renowned cooking contest, the Final Recipe, competing against talented chefs from all over the world. As Mark wins round after round with his ravishing cooking skills, he begins to gain attention, even from the main producer Julia, who slowly realizes that Mark strangely resembles her husband David, a master chef.
- Finally! Michelle's Final Recipe
is coming soon!
It is selected as the opening film of the "Culinary Zinema" (Culinary Cinema) section at the Festival de San Sebastian (San Sebastian International Film Festival, Sept. 20-28) in Spain. Screening date: Saturday September 21st. (Programme
- Watch Videos
: Gao Zheng Camellia Oil commercial with Michelle, shot in November 2012 in Taiwan.
- After a week long trip in America, Michelle retuened to Paris this weekend.
- Has everyone seen this photo (left one) of the two ladies? Michelle Yeoh and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi. Taken on December 6, 2010 during Michelle's visit at Daw Suu's Rangoon/Yangon house, right after she finished her Bangkok shoot for The Lady
(1) the two ladies
(2) Michelle, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and Daw Suu's younger son Kim Aris (middle)
(3) Michelle and Aung San Suu Kyi at Yangon International Airport, December 7, 2010
(photos posted by U Tunwai, Unty Mee, and Thaung Hein)
The production of The Lady
began in Thailand on October 18th, 2010. At that time Daw Aung San Suu Kyi was still detained under house arrest. Less than a month later on November 13, Daw Suu was released after her latest 7 year term of detention expired. Michelle, director Luc Besson, and the film production team celebrated the moment in a hotel room in Bangkok together with Daw Suu's younger son Kim Aris.
Myanmar's previous ruling junta was so afraid of Aung San Suu Kyi and anyone who was in touch of her that after Michelle's meeting with Daw Suu, they put Michelle on a blacklist. When Michelle tried to return to the country the next June (2011), she was deported at the border
. A source quoted the military-backed government and said she would never be permitted to enter the country again.
Yet, history has turned a new page for Burma/Myanmar. Among many changes, later in 2011 internet access to news was unblocked. In 2012, pre-publication censorship of the country's media was abolished. Many prisoners of conscience have been released and Myanmar President U Thein Sein announced last week that all prisoners of conscience in the country will be freed by the end of the year. Daw Aung San Suu Kyi is now the chairperson of the National League for Democracy (NLD) and she was elected to Burma's parliament. Last month, she announced that she wants to run for the presidency in the 2015 elections.
Of course Michelle is free to enter the country again. In the beginning of 2012, she was informed that she was no longer blacklisted.
- Various sources revealed that Michelle is attached to star in The Golden Age: The Lost Treasure of Zheng He
, to be produced by Brett Ratner's Rat Entertainment (U.S.) and South Korea-based CJ Entertainment. The production is aimed to start after Michelle's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel next year.
The Golden Age
was first announced during Cannes in 2012. The period treasure hunt adventure tells the story of a British puzzle expert, a worldly Chinese police officer and a mysterious Chinese female pirate on the hunt for China's hidden treasures.
[Background] Admiral Zheng He
is a famous historical figure in Chinese history. The Chinese imperial eunuch led seven oceanic expeditions for the Ming emperor during the period from 1405 to 1433, traveling to several regions including Southeast Asia, the Persian Gulf, the Red Sea, and the east coast of Africa. Some believe that Zheng He's fleet reached as far as the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of North and South America (discovering America 70 years before Christopher Columbus).
- It will be in less than a month - I mean, that special day for our special lady! I don't know about you, I myself am almost speechless on how fast the years have passed... I really didn't feel like building this form right now, because each year when I do so, it reminds me: it is another year that has gone by......
OK, we've all been growing up with you, Michelle. ;-)
Here you are - our twelfth annual event -
The 2013 Michelle Yeoh Birthday Special!
In the above link everyone can write to Michelle. All messages received will be forwarded to her for her birthday (August 6). Please make your entry by August 4 and please use English
only. There is also a small survey you may participate in ;-)   Thank you all!
- More photos have been added in Photos
: Tan Sri Award
- "Cosmopolitan" Hong Kong, June 2013: Silk and Steel: Michelle Yeoh (artical in traditional Chinese)
- Video: Behind scenes of GaoZheng Group commercial
the commercial was shot in November 2012 in Taiwan.
<< News 2013 June
News 2014 January>>