Michelle Yeoh Web Theatre
News January - June, 2013
- Michelle attended the UNAIDS (the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS) and Lancet Commission Summit as a commissioner
, June 28-29, Lilongwe, Malawi.
Some of the world's most prominent leaders, thinkers, and activists in the AIDS response are convening this weekend 28-29 June 2013
in Lilongwe, Malawi for two days of dialogue focused on defining the role of the AIDS response in the post-2015 agenda   ("UNAIDS")
- Photos: Michelle during the 2013 FIA Sport Conference Week (June 25-27)
, Goodwood, UK.
Michelle and Dante Pescetto, president of Pampeana Motorsport Federation
- More photos from the Le Mans 24 Hours, France, June 22.
(1-2) Michelle and Jean Todt, president of FIA
(3)Jean Todt, Michelle, and Denis Brogniart, French sport journalist and television host
(1) Michelle, Jean Todt and Patrick Dempsey (L), American actor and race car driver, showing supports
for the FIA Action for Road Safety campaign's Golden Rules for Safer Motoring
(photos from "PurePeople", "FIA", "Newscom" and "Diariomotor")
- Video: Mabul World Turtle Day 2013 featuring Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh
- News photos: Michelle and Jean Todt promoting road safety at the "Le Mans 24 Hours" race, the Circuit de la Sarthe, Le Mans, France, June 22nd.
(3) Jean Todt, Michelle, ?, Pierre Fillon, president of ACO and Jim France, vice president of NASCAR
(1) Jean Todt, Michelle, Pierre Fillon
(photos from "FIA Wec", "Motorsport", "Osports", "Newscom", "Revistascratch", and "Le Maine Libre")
- Michelle was listed the No.3 among the "10 Most Powerful Women in Malaysia" on Malaysian newspaper "The Star".
- Michelle is featured in the cover story of the June issue of Harper's Bazaar Hong Kong.
- News photos: Michelle and Jean Todt at the French Tennis Open 2013, the Roland Garros Stadium, Paris, June 9th.
Michelle taking pictures with her smartphone designed with "The Lady" poster
with Bertrand Delanoe, Mayor of Paris
(1-2) Michelle with Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt
Jean Todt, Michelle, Bertrand Delanoe
(photos from "CFP", "AFP", "Sina", "Newscom", "Zimbio", "CTK", "WireImage", "PurePeople" and "CNS" )
- More photos from Malaysia, May 2013 - Michelle with students of Kids Scuba
and Borneo Divers Team
during the turtle tagging program, Borneo Divers Mabul Resort. ("Kids Scuba" photos)
- Michelle at the opening ceremony of Richard Mille flagship shop in Kuala Lumpur, May 17. ("Richard Mille" photos)
- Michelle was conferred the Panglima Setia Mahkota Malaysia (P.S.M., Commander of the Order of the Crown of Malaysia) which carries the title Tan Sri
in her home country Malaysia, on June 1st.
She was among the prominent personalities who received federal medals and awards in conjunction with the birthday of the King of Malaysia. Michelle was previously honored with "Datuk" title in 2001 and "Datuk Seri" in 2012.
Congratulations Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh!
Watch video: Investiture ceremony: Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh receiving her honour
Michelle receiving her medal from King Tuanku Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah
(1-2) Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh, Datuk Jimmy Choo (L) and Datuk Zang Toi at the National Palace
(photos from "Bernama" and "Cutecarry")
- Michelle was in Kuala Lumpur, Thursday May 30th. In the afternoon she attended the rehearsal for Saturday's ceremony. "Twitter" photos: Michelle at lunch.
- Michelle is featured in the cover story of Harper's Bazaar Hong Kong, June 2013 issue.
- The Academy is hosting "An Academy Salute to Jackie Chan" next Monday evening with a screening of
Police Story III: Supercop
which stars Michelle and Chan. The 1992 Hong Kong film was re-edited, re-dubbed in English and released in the U.S. in 1996. This special screening will show the original Hong Kong version, in Cantonese with English subtitles.
Monday June 3, 7:30 pm, at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills.
(Info & Tickets)
- Redcarpet : Ailing parents can't attend royal ceremony with Michelle Yeoh
- News photos: Michelle and Jean Todt during the Qualifying Day of the Monaco Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Monaco, Saturday May 25th.
- Formula One World Championship, Monaco Grand Prix, Sunday May 26th.
(1) (L to R) Christian Estrosi, Deputy Mayor of Nice, Jean Todt and Michelle
(2) Michelle, Jean Todt and Dan Palikrousis (R)
(1) Michelle, Jean Todt with Angelo Sticchi Damiani (L) Aci Csai President
(2) Tamara Ecclestone, daughter of Bernie Ecclestone with Michelle and Jean Todt
(photos from "Motorsport", "Motori", "News", "CFP", "Formula1", "Getty", "Corbis", and "Reuters")
- Michelle is featured in the cover story of the new issue of Hong Kong magazine "One".
- Michelle has been in Mabul and Sipadan, beautiful islands off the south-eastern coast of Sabah in East Malaysia, for the past couple of days. Working/preparing for her shark documentary? Enjoy your snorkeling and diving, Michelle, and don't get too close to those sharks! ;-)
Michelle, May 20th   ("Cullamat" photos)
- [Crouching Tiger 2] During the panel discussion at Cannes last Sunday, director Yuen Wo Ping revealed that they plan to shoot two versions, one in English and one in Mandarin Chinese. The script is currently under modifications. Production will take place in Mainland China and Malaysia.
Harvey Weinstein explained that the title of the sequel, "The Green Destiny", refers to the name of the sword in the original Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Donnie Yen said he is very excited to work with Yuen Wo Ping and Michelle again. "We are all old friends," said Yen. Yen co-starred with Michelle in
Wing Chun (1994)
and Butterfly & Sword (1993)
Yuen Wo Ping worked with Michelle on Wing Chun
and Tai-Chi Master (1993)
as director and action choreographer,
and then on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
as action choreographer. The most recent film that Michelle worked with Yuen on was
True Legend (2010)
in which Michelle's character, Sister Yu, was written as Crouching Tiger's Yu Shu Lien,
according to Yuen Wo Ping who was both director and action choreographer of the film. But Michelle only guest starred for 5 minutes and had NO FIGHT (what a crime!!).
I would have been much happier if it had involved SOME kind of action!...
I do expect to see a true Yu Shu Lien this time, and I'm waiting for a(nother) run of screen magic from Yuen Wo Ping and our Michelle. ;-)
(1) CTHD2 panel at Cannes (L to R): David Thwaites, Harvey Weinstein, Donnie Yen, Yuen Wo Ping. pictures of Michelle and Donnie Yen displayed on the backdrop
(2) Michelle as Yun Shu Lien in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
(3) Michelle, as Yim Wing Chun, with Donnie Yen in Yuen Wo Ping's Wing Chun (1994)
- [Crouching Tiger 2] Producer David Thwaites, Harvey Weinstein, actor Donnie Yen, director and martial arts choreography legend Yuen Wo Ping, and exec producer Anthony Wong attended a TWC panel
on the Crouching Tiger sequel at Cannes last Sunday. A pre-recorded video of Michelle, who is currently in her home country Malaysia, was displayed.
Read Deadline Report
- [Crouching Tiger 2] It's offocial - Michelle is going to return as Yu Shu Lien in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2 - The Green Destiny
. Production is expected to begin in March 2014
Hong Kong director/action choreographer Yuen Wo Ping, who was the action choreographer for the original film, will direct and Hong Kong action actor Donnie Yen will co-star. (Both Yuen and Yen have collaborated with Michelle on multiple films.)
The screenplay is written by John Fusco and the film will be produced by Harvey Weinstein and David Thwaites, co-produced by Johnny Levin with Executive Producer Anthony Wong. Yucaipa Films is co-financing the project with The Weinstein Company (TWC).
The news announcement was released by The Weinstein Company today during the Cannes Film Festival. "The announcement follows months of contract negotiations between TWC and Yeoh, and a search for a director to take on the role previously occupied by Ang Lee," reported Film Business Asia. "The producers have also been in prolonged negotiations to set up the picture in Malaysia. In addition to being Yeoh's home turf, Malaysia would allow the film to be one of the first to use the new Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios."
Film Business Asia: Yen, Yeoh commit to Crouching Tiger prequel
Hollywood Reporter: 'Crouching Tiger 2': Michelle Yeoh Returns for Weinstein Co. Sequel
Deadline: CANNES TOLDJA! Weinstein Co Beginning Production on 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' Sequel
The Wall Street Journal: 'Crouching Tiger' Unveiled Sequel
Empire: Michelle Yeoh To Star In Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon II
- Michelle has returned to Malaysia after Vienna.
- Final Recipe
is currently (still) under "post production" and it is on Fortissimo Films's "Upcoming Films" list for Cannes.
When you enter the world of cooking you enter a universe of passion, talent, egos, energy, and style. Family is the secret ingredient.
- Photo at left: Jean Todt, Michelle, and member of the Vienna city council Omar Al-Rawi, the Vienna City Hall. ("SPO" photo)
- Photos: Michelle and Jean Todt joined the OAMTC (Austrian Automobile, Motorbike & Touring Club) to promote "The Long Short Walk" and pedestrian safety,
Vienna, Austria, May 14.
FIA: Road safety in Austria - UN Global Road Safety Week
Make Roads Safe: Long Short Walk campaign launched across the world
Michelle speaking at OAMTC's road safety press conference
(2) (L to R) Alexander Wurz (former Formula 1 racing driver), Jean Todt (FIA president), Christian Moser (Director of SOS
Children's Village Austria), Julia Mirwald, Michelle Yeoh (Actress and Global Road Safety Ambassador), Kevin Baster, Werner Kraus
(OAMTC President), John Mutenda (President of the Automobile Association Uganda)
(photos from "OST" and "FIA")
- May 12th: Michelle joined a FIA walk with 200 school children supporting pedestrian road safety as a part of the UN Global Road Safety Week.
Spanish Formula One Grand Prix, the Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona.
special Formula One Long Short Walk at Spain's Circuit de Catalunya
Michelle, Global Road Safety Ambassador, FIA president Jean Todt, F1 president and CEO Ernie Ecclestone,
all 22 Formula One drivers, team principals and 200 school children participated in the FIA road safety walk
Michelle and Jean Todt, Spanish Formula One Grand Prix
Michelle and Ferrari Brazilian driver Felipe Massa
(1) Felipe Massa, Michelle, Jean Todt, and Spanish Scuderia Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso
(2) Niki Lauda, Mercedes Non-Executive Chairman, Jean Todt, and Michelle
(3) Michelle and Fernando Alonso
(4) Michelle, jean Todt with former Brazilian driver Rubens Barrichello
(2) Niki Lauda, Jean Todt, Michelle and Ernie Ecclestone
(1-2) Global road Safety Ambassador Michelle Yeoh and Women in Motorsport
Maria de Villota
(3) Michelle with Adrian Sutil, German Force India F1 driver
(photos from "FIA Action For Road Safety ", "Motorsport", "FIA", "Motorionline",
"Crash", "GPupdate", "corbis", "Getty", and "Newscom")
- Michelle will be in Vienna, Austria to attend an event on road safety for children next Tuesday.
- Some new or higher resolution images from Reign of Assassins
Reign of Assassins
for more new images and cast introduction.
- Michelle left Russia on the 7th. She has returned to Geneva/Paris.
- More photos from Michelle's road safety visit to Israel in February ("MEMSI" photos)
Michelle, Global Road Safety Ambassador, and Jean Todt, FIA President, visiting Israel, February 17-19
(1) President of MEMSI Israel Itzhak Milstein, Michelle, Jean Todt, Avi Naor, founder and Chairman of Or Yarok Association
Michelle speaking at the 2013 Or Yarok (Green Light) road safety conference in Israel
(3) Michelle, Jean Todt, and Mayor of Jerusalem Nir Barket at Jerusalem Municipality
(1) President of MEMSI Israel Itzhak Milstein, Mayor of Jerusalem Nir Barket,
Michelle, Jean Todt at Jerusalem Municipality
- Michelle attended the 2013 annual Decade of Action Policy and Donor Forum in St Petersburg, Russia, May 7th. The theme of
this year's event, which takes place during the United Nations Global Road Safety Week (May 6-12) highlighting pedestrian safety, is "Safe Roads for All".
(1) Michelle speaking at Decade of Action Policy and Donor Forum in Russia
(2) (L to R) Lord Robertson of Port Ellen, Chair of the Commission for Global Road Safety and Make Roads Safe,
Michelle, Make Roads Safe ambassador, and Jean Todt, president of FIA
(1) Michelle: I'm walking for the children of the world
(2-3) Etienne Krug, WHO, Lord Robertson of Port Ellen, HRH Prince Michael of Kent, Global Road Safety Ambassador
Michelle Yeoh, FIA President Jean Todt and General Victor Kiryanov, Deputy Interior Minister of the Russian Federation,
support The Long Short Walk
("Make Roads Safe" photos)
- Wthejournal spent two minutes with Michelle, Richard Mille ambassador, who lives every day to the fullest, for an interview about time.
Wthejournal interview: "Michelle Yeoh, two minutes of your time"
Michelle Yeoh: Today is a present, cherish and enjoy it
- Michelle has returned to Paris. She will soon be heading to Russia for road safety promotion.
- Michelle was featured in Taiwanese magazine "WE PEOPLE", March 2013.
Article (in traditional Chinese): Michelle Yeoh - Modern Female Knight
- It's not new, uhh... have you seen
- Photos from the Guerlain promotional event in Hong Kong, April 29th.
(photos from "Tungstar", "AP", "MSN", "CNS", "Getty", "Apple Daily", "HK Headline", "OC", "Twitter", and "Weibo")
- On Monday April 29th, Michelle attended a Guerlain promotion event in Hong Kong.
During interviews, Michelle shared her experience in the recent road safety trip in Africa.
Regarding her wedding plans Michelle said they have been trying to pick a date but have been having trouble with their conflicting schedules. She is going to be promoting road safety in six more countries. She also has a big budget Southeast Asian movie production coming up.
When asked about the criticism she was getting from some Malaysian (especially Malaysian Chinese) netizens about her public support of the Malaysian prime minister, Michelle replied that she had already said what she had to say back in Malaysia.
Entertainment Daily News
(01:50, in English and Cantonese)
(01:53, Cantonese and English)
(02:04, Mandarin & Cantonese)
- More from Michelle's road safety promotion tour in Africa last week.
FIA reports: 1
(1) FIA President Jean Todt and International Road Safety Ambassador Michelle Yeoh
with energetic young supporters of FIA's Action for Road Safety campaign in Gabon
(2) with president of Gabon Ali Bongo Ondimba, April 16, Libreville, Gabon
(photos from "FIA" and "FIA Action For Road Safety")
- New Make Roads Safe video:
Long Short Walk: our goal
- Malaysian Chinese language media reported that Michelle has been invited by the Chinese Film Association of Malaysia to be a chair of the upcoming 1st Malaysia Chinese Film Awards (Golden Wau Awards).
- On Saturday April 20th, Michelle attended a dinner event in Klang, Selangor, Malaysia. The event was organised by Malaysian Chinese community NGOs and attended by 60,000 guests.
88TV: "I'm a child of Malaysia" - Dato Sri Michelle Yeoh
(03:08, Michelle's speech is in English and a bit Mandarin)
TV3: Michelle Yeoh Shows Respect & Supported Najib Leadership
(00:58 in English)
HD5: Michelle Yeoh defends decision to support Malaysian PM
(01:33, in English)
"FZ" report: Michelle Yeoh hails Najib at 'record-breaking' dinner
Datuk Seri Michelle Yeoh: I love Malaysia
shaking hands with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak
(3) "This is a democratic country," says Michelle
(photos from "FZ", "HK Headline", "Sinchew", "Mingpao", "Straits Times", "Singpao", "Utusan",
"Bharian", "Kwongwah", "Apple Daily", "ABN", "Malaysia kini", "NST", "Facebook" and "Twitter")
- Photos from Michelle's road safety tour in Senegal last week.   ("FIA" photos)
FIA: Jean Todt meets President on visit to Senegal
(1) Michelle and Jean Todt with Senegal's President Macky Sall, April 10
- Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
is available on DVD in Taiwan. In English with Chinese subtitles. Region 3.
- Michelle has been with Jean Todt on a FIA road safety related tour in Africa. They just arrived in Libreville, Gabon today (Friday), after visiting Senegal on Wednesday and Benin Thursday.
Photo at left: Michelle, Jean Todt and jean-Paul Monschau, ambassador of France in Benin, Cotonou, Benin, Thursday April 11th.   (photo from "Embassy of France in Benin")
- News articles from Malaysia:
Mammoth dinner planned in 'Malaysian Book of Records' bid
Malaysian stars coming home to vote
- Michelle left Sri Lanka on Sunday and returned to Europe.
- Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
will screen at the Indian Film Festival of Los Angeles (IFFLA) on April 10. (details & tickets)
- Some additional photos and videos from the 7th Asian Film Awards and the 2013 Asean International Film Festival and Awards. More new photos from the events can be seen in
From the Asean International Film Festival and Awards
, Kuching, Malaysia, March 30th.
Watch video: Michelle Yeoh - 2013 Asean International Film Festival and Awards
Lifetime Achievement Award for Michelle
From the 7th Asian Film Awards
, Hong Kong, March 18th.
Michelle Yeoh - 7th Asian Film Awards presentation ceremony
(10:59, in English and Cantonese (English subtitled))
Michelle Yeoh - 7th Asian Film Awards redcarpet
(02:07, in Cantonese, English and Mandarin)
the Excellence in Asian Cinema Award for Michelle
(1) with Hong Kong film producer Raymond Chow   (2) Raymond Chow, Michelle, and actor Andy Lau
(3) with HK radio show host Eileen Cha   (4) with Filipino actor Eddie Garcia, AFA best actor winner
(photos from "Hong Kong International Film Festival Society", "Cri", "China Daily" and "SCMP")
- April 4th: Michelle flew from Malaysia to Sri Lanka.
(1) Michelle greeted by Manjith Thamanegama, co-ordinating secretary to director general of
Ministry of Youth Affairs and Skills Development, Colombo, Sri Lanka
(2) Michelle with fashion designer Tom Abang Saufi in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, April 4
- On March 31st, Michelle visited Tanoti House, a traditional Sarawakian weaving workshop, before leaving Kuching in the afternoon.
Borneo Post video: Yeoh visits Tanoti House
The Star: Hand-crafted to perfection
Michelle looking at the process of songket-weaving
Michelle with weavers from Tanoti House
(photos from "Borneo Post" and "The Star")
- Congratulations Michelle for receiving the AIFFA Lifetime Achievement Award!
NTV7 video: Asean Film Awards ceremony
Borneo Post: Nation’s international star actress receives Lifetime Achievement Award at Asean film fest
The Star: Asean international film awards
Chief Minister Pehin Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud presents the award to Michelle for her outstanding talent and contribution to the region's film industry
ASEAN International Film Festival and Awards, the Borneo Convention Centre Kuching, March 30th
2013 AIFFA ceremony
(1) fans scrambling to shake hands with Michelle after the awards ceremony
(1) Michelle, her brother (R) and her niece (L)   (2) with her brother, niece and nephew
(3) Michelle with some family membrs and friends at AIFFA 2013
(2) Michelle and Malaysian singer, director and actor Wee Meng Chee (Namewee)
(photos from "Borneo Post", "Nasyid", "Sinchew", "The Star", "Seehua", "Budiey", "Sohu", "Mediahiburan", "Twitter", "Weibo" and Namewee)
- March 30th: Michelle visited Semengoh Wildlife Centre and Annah Rais longhouse in Sarawak.
Borneo Post: 'Hitting global silver screen needs patience'
(1) signing guestbook at Semengoh Wildlife Centre
(2-3) Michelle and her niece observe orang utans at Semengoh Wildlife Rehab Centre
(4) Michelle waters a sapling after planting it at Semengoh Wildlife Centre
(1) Annah Rais longhouse: tasting local sugarcane wine
(2) blowing a local handmade instrument/craft
(3) stamping unhulled rice with locals
(photos from "Sinchew", "Borneo Post", "Seehua" and "United Daily")
- The Star: Michelle Yeoh to continue acting career
- March 29th: Michelle attending 2013 AIFFA dinner and screening of Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
Actress Yeoh hosts private screening of documentary
Michelle shaking hands with Sarawak Tourism Minister Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg
(1) Michelle, executive producer of Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
(2) Michelle (L2) and Wendy Lee (R), director of Pad Yatra, introducing the film
and ... (3) quiz: can you spot Michelle? ;-)
(photos from "Tourism Sarawak", "Borneo Post", "Seehua", "Twitter" and "Facebook")
- Michelle arrived in Kuching, Sarawak in the afternoon of Thursday, March 28th. Pad Yatra: A Green Odyssey
will be screened at the opening night of the AIFFA.
Michelle's The Lady
is also being screened during the festival.
The Star: Bond Girl Michelle Yeoh arrives for Asean film awards
welcome Datuk Seri Michelle Yeoh, VIP Arrival Hall, Kuching International Airport
(1) "Ministry of Tourism Sarawak" twitter: "A special guest at Sarakraf Pavillion. Dinner with Sarawakian food. Datuk Seri Michelle Yeoh loves Laksa"
(2-3) arriving in Hilton Kuching, Kuching, Sarawak Thursday late afternoon
(4) Michelle chatting with Anwar bin Ibrahim (right), former Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia, at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport before flying to Kuching
(photos from "Borneo Post", "The Star", "Sinchew", "Ministry of Tourism Sarawak", "Twitter" and "Facebook")
- Michelle will be heading to Kuching, Sarawak, East Malaysia. She will be attending the Gala Night of the 2013 ASEAN International Film Festival and Awards (AIFFA, March 28-30) and some related activities.
ASEAN refers to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations, an economic grouping of ten Southeast Asian countries that include Singapore, Malaysia, Burma/Myanmar, Laos and Vietnam. The three-day ASEAN festival is not the first Southeast Asian film festival, but it is the first to have an awards ceremony to honour films made in the region.
- Reign of Assassins
will be released in Portugal on April 4, by ZON Lusomundo. Title: Reino de Assassinos.
a new film still and Portugal poster
" reported that Michelle
has signed with Resolution, a new Hollywood talent and literary agency launched in January by former ICM chairman Jeff Berg.
- Malaysia's LEAP (Land Empowerment Animals People) announced that they will be working with Michelle and Scubazoo (an underwater filming and photography company based in Sabah, Malaysian Borneo) on a documentary about sharks, telling a story of what is happening to sharks and what the planet and our entire ecosystem would be like without them if we continue on our current path.
- Photos: Michelle and Jean Todt at the Formula One World Championship, Malaysian Grand Prix, Sepang, Malaysia, Sunday March 24th.
last photo: Michelle, Jean Todt, Venezuelan father and son Pastor Maldonado on the grid
(1) Michelle with Brazilian F1 driver Felipe Massa and Rob Smedley, Ferrari race engineer
(photos from "MotorSport", "Grandprix", "Motori", "CFP", "Corbis" and "Sutton")
- Michelle and her upcoming Final Recipe
were featured in Hollywood Reporter, issue of March 18. According to the article, the film will be released in the summer.
(1-3) Hollywood Reporter: The Passion of Michelle Yeoh   (4) poster image
Michelle as Julia in Final Recipe
- New poster image in Final Recipe
- with Michelle!
- AFA news reports:
BBC: Michelle Yeoh honoured at Asian Film Awards
NTDTV: China's "Mystery" Wins Best Film at Hong Kong's Asian Film Awards
AP: China's 'Mystery' honored at Asian Film Awards
HK Top10: Michelle Yeoh Wins the Excellence in Asian Cinema Award
- Photos from AFA After Awards Party, March 18:
(3) Michelle with Hong Kong actress Deannie Yip (L, a co-star in Michelle's first movie,"The Owl vs Dumbo"),
best actress winner of last year's Asian Film Awards, and Chinese actress Qi Xi (R), the Best Newcomer Award winner
(4) (L to R) Deannie Yip, Michelle, and Hong Kong actor Andy Lau, president of the AFA jury
(1) Michelle with Wilfred Wong, Chairman of the Hong Kong International Film Festival Society his wife
(2) (L to R) Japanese actress Makiko Watanabe, winner of Best Supporting Actress Award, Deannie Yip, Michelle, Qi Xi
(3) Michelle and Andy Lau
Wilfred Wong, Chairman of HKIFFS, Stuart Wang, Director of Entertainment and Branded Ventures of Hopewell Asset
Management Ltd., presenters and winners toast at the Asian Film Awards After Awards Party supported by E-Max Cineplex
(photos from "Movie Marketing", "Yule", "AliveNotDead")
- More images from the Asian Film Awards. (thanks Mandy and Karen!)
Michelle and Andy Lau during the award ceremony
from 2013 Asian Film Awards booklet
- News photos: Michelle at the 7th Asian Film Awards in Hong Kong, March 18th. The Excellence in Asian Cinema Award was presented to Michelle by several renowned Hong Kong directors who worked with her in the past - Sammo Hung, Yuen Wo-ping, Corey Yuen, and Mabel Cheung.
Video: Award presentation and Michelle's acceptance speech at the Asian Film Awards
(04:18, in English)
Michelle was honored AFA award
giving acceptance speech
Michelle showing her long list of people to thank on receiving the award
Mabel Cheung, Yuen Wo-ping, Corey Yuen, Sammo Hung deciding who would present the award to Michelle with rock-paper-scissors
Sammo Hung handed the AFA trophy to Michelle
Michelle on redcarpet of the Asian Film Awards
(photos from "Reuters", "AP", "AFP", "Tungstar", "MTime", "Sina", "Oriental Daily", "China Time", "Sohu", and "Elie Saab")
- On March 17th, Michelle attended the cocktail reception held in Grand Hyatt Hong Kong celebrating her Excellence in Asian Cinema Award.
Michelle said she's happy to receive the award where her career started, in Hong Kong. "I am very pleased to have the chance to see so many film professionals and old friends,"
said Michelle. "I believe that, together, our vivacity and creativity will further raise the international profile of Asian cinema."
Asia Today: Cocktail Celebration Honours Michelle YEOH, the 7th Asian Film Awards' Excellence in Asian Cinema Award Winner
OnScreen Asia: Michelle Yeoh honoured at Asian Film Awards
AP: Michelle Yeoh honored at Asian Film Awards
The Wall Street Journal: Hong Kong Film Festival Opens
AP News (01:51, Mandarin & Cantonese)
Youku (01:42, Cantonese)
ChinaNews (01:35, Mandarin and Cantonese)
i-Cable (02:30, Cantonese)
(1) Michelle with Wilfred Wong, Chairman of the Hong Kong International Film Festival Society
(2) Michelle and Brandon Chang
(4-5) Michelle and HKIFF chairman Wilfred Wong
(photos from "TungStar", "AP", "Wall Street Journal", "CFP", "ICpress", "QQ",
"Sohu", "Getty", "Wenwei", "Oriental Daily", "Yes", "Luxos" and "Weibo")
- After more than 2 weeks staying in her hometown with her family in Malaysia, Michelle has arrived in Hong Kong. She will be receiving the Excellence in Asian Cinema Award at the 7th Asian Film Awards (AFA)
ceremony on Monday March 18th, at the Grand Hall of the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre. There will be an AFA Cocktail celebration honoring Michelle Sunday evening.
- WHO's 2013 global status report on road safety was launched in Geneva today. Unable to attend the event, a video statement from Michelle, Global Ambassador for the Make Roads Safe Campaign, was displayed.
Statement from Michelle Yeoh
On the occasion of the launch of the Global status report on road safety 2013
- [Crouching Tiger sequel] Hong Kong newspaper "Oriental Daily" reported that Hong Kong veteran martial arts actor Donnie Yen
(who co-starred with Michelle in Wing Chun
and Butterfly & Sword
) has been invited to play the male lead in the much talked Crouching Tiger sequel. He will play Yu Shu-Lien (Michelle)'s fiance who did not die as previously thought. Chinese actress Fan Bing-bing is said (unconfirmed) to play Yu Jiao Long (Jen Yu, originally played by Zhang Ziyi)'s adopted daughter. According to the report, David Thwaites, an executive producer of Black Swan
, will be directing, and the production company is trying to persuade Ang Lee to be a producer for the film. Two versions - one English and one Chinese - are being prepared.
Donnie Yen confirmed that Harvey Weinstein and David Thwaites have contacted him and he is considering the role. Thwaites have been in Hong Kong twice discussing the project.
Michelle told reporters through her assistant that she hasn't seen the final script yet. She admitted her involvement with the production but did not disclose more details. It isn't clear if she will only be an actor or she will have an additional role as co-producer. The production is aiming to begin in the middle of the year.
(for previous reports see News of Jan. 24th, Jan. 29th, Feb. 18th and Feb. 28th,)
Also by the report, it is planned that some footage of Michelle's Final Recipe
will be shown during the Cannes Film Festival in May.
- Malaysia media reported that Michelle will be attending the 2013 Asean International Film Festival and Awards (AIFFA), in Kuching, East Malaysia, March 28-30.
Michelle's The Lady
will be screened on March 29 and PAD YATRA: A Green Odyssey
on March 30.
- The Lady
(Amor, honor y libertad
) is scheduled to release in Venezuela on March 22nd.
- Some behind scene photos from Anlene Gold commercial shooting last year.
- [Crouching Tiger sequel] In January "Deadline" reported that The Weinstein Company was in talks with veteran Hong Kong director Ronny Yu (Fearless
, The Bride with White Hair
) to direct Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel, which will be produced by Harvey Weinstein. During a film promotion yesterday in Taiwan, director Ronny Yu clarified that Weinstein indeed contacted him but he said he is not going to do the sequel. He said he is a big fan of Ang Lee and Lee is in such a higher level than himself. "I dare not to direct it after Ang Lee." Earlier this month UK "Metro" quoted Michelle who said the project is in "early stages" and "it still depends on the script and who the director is."
- In Videos
: New Guerlian mini film/video - Exploring New Orchidee Imperiale, starring Michelle Yeoh.
- Some recent Reign of Assassins
reviews from U.K.:
Hey U Guys
- PAD YATRA: A Green Odyssey will be screened at Make A Difference Film Festival (Hong Kong). Two screenings on Feb. 24 and Mar. 2.
- Photo at left: Michelle in Paris, February 21st, Chanel boutique.
- Family is the secret ingredient... See official synposis of Michelle's upcoming film in Final Recipe
- In Reign of Assassins
: two new film clips, UK DVD trailer, AD and cover image,
pre-order and chances of winning a copy of the DVD.
- More from the Road safety visit to Israel:
FIA: FIA President addresses Israeli Road Safety Conference
(1) Michelle and Jean Todt at a road safety event organised by the Automobile and Touring Club of Israel (MEMSI)
(2) meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
(3) Michelle, Jean Todt with President of MEMSI Yitzhak Milstein and supporters of the Action For Road Safety campaign in Israel
(photos from "FIA Action For Road Safety")
- [Crouching Tiger sequel] Today's U.K. "Metro" had two full pages dedicated to Michelle
According to the article, Michelle said that much-anticipated sequel to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
is in the "early stages".
The newspaper quoted Michelle: "It's early stages. It still depends on the script and who the director is, and it's never easy to make another
movie after such an incredible classic but Crouching Tiger is a gem in my heart and always will be. So we will see."
(for previous reports see News of Jan. 24th and Jan. 29th)
Michelle's latest martial ats/wuxia film, Reign of Assassins
, is now showing in UK cinemas, and UK DVD will be released on February 25th.
"I love my martial arts and action movies," said Michelle. "They give another dimension to the acting world: the emotional plus the physical. But I choose them carefully - this is the first one I've really done since Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."
- Michelle has arrived in Israel and she will be atteding "Green Light" conference on road safety in Tel Aviv on February 19th.
- According to Malaysian Chinese language media, Michelle has two films under preparation, one Hollywood and one Chinese. It is not clear if the production dates have been fixed and which one she will decide to do next. She will soon be in the U.S. and Hong Kong to discuss the projects.
Michelle is back to Paris for ♥
- Additional (and some HQ) photos added to Russian InStyle Magazine
- Make Roads Safe film with Michelle -
Watch video: Long Short Walk: Cambodia
- On Chinese New Year day, Michelle attended Perak Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abd Kadir's Chinese New Year open house in Ipoh.
When asked about her wedding plan, Michelle said that it's being discussed but would not be soon. She
thanked her fans and the media for showing their concern about her wedding plans and smiled: "Just be happy for us and we will be very happy."
News reports: The Star
New Straits Times
News video: 10,000 guests attend Perak Chinese New Year Celebration
(02:44, Malay. Michelle appears 01:25-02:08)
Michelle told reporters that Final Recipe
is expected to be released either in April or May this year.
"We are hoping to get it ready for the Cannes Film Festival to be held in May," said Michelle.
Michelle wishing everyone a Happy Chinese New Year
(3) Michelle and local performer Au Young holding a big YuanBao
(1) (L to R) Perak Chief Minister Zambry Abd Kadir, his wife, Michelle and her niece
"Lao-sheng", a new year tradition in Malaysia and Singapore which
symbolizes lives will get better and better in the new year
(photos from "Perak Today", "Bernama", "The Star", "Nanyang", "Sinchew", "Guangming",
"Kwongwah", "NST", and special thanks to Emily for sharing her photos/story)
- Some fun reading about Year of Snake ("Epoch Times"):
Chinese New Year 2013 - The Year of the Snake
The Year of the Snake
Learning Chinese: Chinese Character for Snake
- Updates in Final Recipe
): story. teaser images (no Michelle). Michelle is officially listed as one of the executive producers.
- Michelle is speaking at Khazanah Nasional (national treasure) Tea Talk series, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, February 4th.   ("Twitter" photos)
- Michelle was a special guest at the semi-final of the Fortune Heights Snow Polo World Cup 2013, Tianjin, China.   ("Weibo" photos)
- Michelle will receive the Excellence in Asian Cinema Award
, top honor at this year's Asian Film Awards. She will be attending the award ceremony which will take place on March 18 in Hong Kong.
"Asian films and film professionals are full of energy and imagination. In fact, Asia itself is a place that breeds diversity and creativity," said Michelle in a statement.
"The region has many stories to inspire filmmakers to create works of profound significance. I am delighted to receive the Excellence in Asian Cinema Award. It is my goal to continue as an advocate of the Asian film industry and to promote a positive, strong image for Asian women in international films."
Wall Street Journal: Michelle Yeoh to Be Honored at Asian Film Awards
Hollywood Reporter: Michelle Yeoh to Receive Top Honor at Asian Film Awards
- [Crouching Tiger sequel] Michelle has confirmed that she is in talks to reprise her Yu Shu Lien role in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel
Have to say I am definitely looking forward to seeing Michelle team up with Yuen Wo-Ping again!!
(for previous report see News of Jan. 24th)
- Michelle attended the lighting ceremony of Italian jewelry brand BVLGARI's Serpent Lights in Beijing, January 29th. An early celebration of the upcoming Year of Snake.
News videos with interview of Michelle (in Mandarin Chinese)
(1)Michelle and Korean actor Dong-gun Jang at the lighting ceremony
(2-3) officiating ceremony: Michelle, Dong-gun Jang, Lelio Gavazza and Italian Ambassador to China
Michelle and Dong-gun Jang
(1-2) Michelle with Lelio Gavazza, BVLGARI managing director in China
(photos from "CFP", "Sohu", "Sina", "Fashion", "Corbis", "Apple Daily", "Shiatzy Chen" and "BVLGARI")
- Watch Videos:
Bio: Michelle Yeoh
(45:17 in English)
Full episode "Michelle Yeoh" from Bio, a South East Asian television channel dedicating to biography launched by A&E Networks. It includes interviews of many people in the film industry, talking about Michelle. The episode was first aired in 2010.
Small Swallow Hsiao Yen Night TV Talk Show
(45:47 in Mandarin)
The Talk Show was recorded on January 15 during Michelle's promotion of PAD YATRA: A Green Odyssey
in Taipei, Taiwan.
Hostess: Chang Hsiao-Yen. Guests: Exec Producer Michelle Yeoh, Director Wendy J.N. Lee, and two participants on the trek.
- Michelle has returned to Paris. Stopped in Paris, I mean, she's flying again... three continents within five days! (She was in the U.S. before Davos)
- More photos from WEF in Davos:
(1-2) Michelle speaking at Malaysian Night   (3) Michelle (R2) with Jean Todt (R1),
Jimmy Choo (L2), Tony Fernandes (L3), Prime Minister Najib Razak (R5) and wife (R4)
(photos from "The Star", "Twitter" and "Weibo")
- Empire Video: Reign Of Assassins UK Trailer
The film will hit UK cinemas on February 15th.
- The Lady
Japanese DVD/Blu-ray will be released on February 8th. Cover image at left.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon sequel
! Here is an exclusive report from Deadline:
Weinstein Co Readying 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon' Sequel For May Start
No cast has been revealed. It is said that the story is based on the book "Iron Knight, Silver Vase," the fifth book in Wang Dulu's "Crane - Iron Pentalogy" ("Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was from the fourth). According to the report, the story will center on Yu Shu Lien, Michelle's character in Crouching Tiger
. If this is true, they will need a lot of re-writing I think, as Yu Shu Lien is one of the central characters in the second and third books but hardly mentioned in the fifth book which is mainly focused on Jen (Zhang Ziyi) and Lo (Chang Chen)'s son. "Deadline" quoted scriptwriter John Fusco (The Forbidden Kingdom
): "This introduces a new generation of star-crossed lovers, and a new series of antagonists in a battle of good and evil. It has a Knights Errant quality. There is an alternate universe in the books, a martial forest that exists alongside the real world, full of wandering sword fighters, medicine men, defrocked priests, poets, sorcerers and Shaolin renegades. It's so vast and rich, and I found characters from the second and third books in the series to create a most interesting stew while being as true to the source material as I could be."
For some background reading, on the "Crane - Iron Pentalogy" as well as some of the past talks on sequel/prequel, please visit
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon Novels & Prequel/Sequel
page on this site. (No wonder today I saw a sudden large number of visits to the old page!)
- A cold front and light rain hit Taipei, but nevertheless, Michelle went on the pad yatra in Yangmingshan Mountains on January 17, with a group of environmental volunteers and reporters.
Michelle said it was a slow walk compared to what she usually does. "If not because of so many of you following me, I would have used my Qing Gong (lightening skills) and traveled on the treetops!" joked Michelle. She enjoyed the mountain views and called the walk "romantic". She hopes to raise awareness of the importance of protecting our environment and natural resources.
Talking about (Taiwanese) director Ang Lee whose Life of Pi
received 11 nominations for this year's Oscars, Michelle said she hopes Lee will win the best director once more and she also hopes to work with him again.
News videos (in Manderin):
Next TV (02:00)
Era News (01:08)
last photo: Michele, American director Wendy Lee and her sister Carrie Lee, president of Live to Love International
last photo: Michelle Liao, Michelle Yeoh, Wendy Lee, Carrie Lee, local celebrities Aimee Sun and Pei-Hsia Lai
Wendy Lee, Michelle, Carrie Lee, Aimee Sun, Jennifer Lin and Michelle Liao (front)
(photos from "Yes", "Tungstar", "Apple Daily", and "TVB")
- On January 15th, Michelle was in Taipei, Taiwan to promote the environmental documentary she executively produced, PAD YATRA: A Green Odyssey
The film recorded an extraordinary journey of 700 people, led by H.H. the Gyalwang Drukpa, one of the main Buddhist spiritual leaders of the Himalayas
(the head of the Drukpa school - a school of Tibetan Buddhism), to the perilous Himalayan Mountain Range.
They spent 42 days, traveled 450 miles, educated hundreds of villages on environmental responsibility, collected half a ton of trash and plastic from water sources,
and planted 50,000 trees.
"It's a pity that I did not have a chance to take part in the (Himalayas) Pad Yatra," said Michelle.
After portraying Aung San Suu Kyi in The Lady
, a lot of people think Michelle is more or less a politician.
"I'm only an actor who had good luck," smiled Michelle. She said Pad Yatra is not about religion or politics. It is an expression of love. It's about love toward people and the environment. Michelle met H.H.the Gyalwang Drukpa two years ago. She admires his positive attitude towards life and she hopes this documentary will help spread the idea of love and promote environmental education.
It was originally planned that Michelle would narrate the film but she was not able due to time conflicts with her The Lady
Michelle told reporters that she is going to the Yangmingshan Mountains Pad Yatra on Thursday. "It's not about how high we go. It's about the message."
Michelle hopes she can participate in the upcoming Sri Lanka Peace Pad Yatra in March.
After the press conference, Michelle, director Wendy J.N. Lee and guests planted a tree at SPOT Taipei as a symbol of "Green Revolution".
Michelle attending PAD YATRA charity premiere in Taipei, Taiwan
Michelle, director Wendy J.N. Lee (in yellow) and her sister Carrie Lee, president of Live to Love International
PAD YATRA press conference
(1) Michelle and Wendy J.N. Lee
(2) (L to R) Michelle Liao, president of Live to Love Taiwan,
Carrie Lee, president of Live to Love International, Michelle, and Wendy J.N. Lee
Wendy J.N. Lee, Michelle Yeoh, Michelle Liao, Carrie Lee
Michelle (Yeoh) and Michelle Liao with TV hostess Chang Hsiao-Yen (right)
(1) Michelle Yeoh and Michelle Liao   (2) Michelle Liao, Wendy J.N. Lee, Carrie Lee,
Michelle Yeoh, Chang Hsiao-Yen, and Megan Fong
(1) Brandon Chang with two Michelles
(photos from "Live to Love", "Yes", "Now", "Sina", "Hinet", "Apple Daily", "ChinaTimes", "UDN" and Brandon)
- Michelle has arrived in Taiwan. Friends in Taipei may join Michelle in a real Pad Yatra (literally means "journey by foot"),
picking up plastic litter and spreading the message of environmental protection. Thursday January 17, 9:00AM,
at Erziping, Yangmingshan National Park.
- Have you seen Michelle in ballroom dancing? ;-)
(click to see a slightly larger version. Thanks Karen for making the animation from video!)
- Michelle returned to Paris after Vienna. She is heading to Asia.
- PAD YATRA: A Green Odyssey
will have its charity premiere in Taipei, Taiwan on January 15th. Director Wendy Lee and Michelle, executive producer of the film and
Live to Love global ambassador, will be joining the audience in an Q&A session and a cocktail party.
(details and tickets)
Jan. 6th, 2013
<< News 2012 December
News 2013 July>>